Monzo crashing on launch [Raised internally - investigating]

Issue: Monzo closes itself when I try to launch it.

Details to reproduce: launch the Monzo app
Device: iPhone 12 Pro
App Version: 4.37.0

Screenshots:

Only started happening this morning. My phone automatically updated to 4.37.0 overnight. I’ve tried reinstalling the app to no avail. Tried restarting my phone too. No beta software here.

4.37.0 running OK here on latest iOS release.

Is it my imagination or have you had this happening before?

1 Like

The longer running issue I’ve reported in the past (which still exists) is different! The app launches but just doesn’t load anything! Other users have reported that too and a forced reboot reliably remedies it.

This is new. I’ve upgraded to the test flight build and that appears to have fixed it!

Working on iOS 16 for me

2 Likes

Ah, OK - blame my ageing brain :slight_smile:

Glad you’ve sorted it with the test flight build.

2 Likes

This is becoming much more frequent now, and I’m sick of it. I can’t be the only one, surely. iOS quality is down the drain and it’s making Monzo almost completely unusable for me. Both this issue here, and the one I’ve reported here:

At this stage for me, it’s 50/50 if the Monzo app will even launch, load, or work at all on any given day. And when it’s a scenario where it doesn’t want to work, it takes far too long, and far too many different trouble shooting methods to get it working, because nothing seems to be guaranteed to get the trick done.

I’ve deleted the app completely to start fresh. Ive tried both the public release, and the TestFlight release. Happens on both. I’m using only the stable public iOS builds. That version is irrelevant to the issue. Happens on wifi, on cellular, with VPN, without VPN, irrespective of DNS provider. Device reboots (forced ones or the result of your battery depleting) seem to be both the cause and the cure for them, though never guaranteed to reproduce or remedy. This leads me to think they may be related, and perhaps even different manifestations of the same issue.

Please someone at Monzo, investigate and get it fixed. It’s been like this for a very long time, and has only gotten worse and more frequent as time has gone, and a few hit and run users have made posts describing a similar issue in recent months. What good is an app only bank, if the app doesn’t even work half the time, potentially breaking permanently for those ill equipped to run through effective troubleshooting to remedy it.

Anyway, here’s a gif of it happening today, after force rebooting my phone to try to fix the issue reported in the other thread.

IMG_7572

1 Like

@AlanDoe can we get some help for @N26throwaway please? :pray:

2 Likes

Yikes @N26throwaway :eyes:

Has any of the info above changed at all since your initial post?

3 Likes

Only that it’s now Monzo version 4.41.0. Everything else is still the same. I’m no longer running the test flight build, which I downloaded to fix it last time.

4 Likes

I can’t open Monzo either right now. Force closing itself before launching

1 Like

I notice you’re launching it via a shortcut so you can use a custom icon. Does it do the same if you open it directly?

That’s the premium icon not a shortcut. You can change your app icon in the app settings

Ah, I didn’t realise Premiums got the white icon.

Yeah, mine’s the icon you get for having monzo plus

I’ve tried pretty much everything aside from completely resetting my phone and can’t launch Monzo at all. Just crashes every time I launch it. TestFlight build too.

Was updated to 4.41.0 yesterday and that’s the same version that’s on TestFlight, so I wonder if it’s that update that’s just completely bricked the app for me.

1 Like

I find this strange as I’m on iOS 15.6 on iPhone 13 pro max running monzo 4.41.0 and have no problems launching and running the app

Do you all have developer mode enabled on your iPhones if using iOS 16?

I’m not using beta software. iOS 15.5 on my personal device.

Like the other issue where the app will launch but won’t load, I don’t think it’s specific to any kind of iOS version. @JoeT’s on the iOS 16 beta, and this sort of thing has been reported on 15.4 as well.

For me these bugs together predate iOS 15 entirely, so I’m not sure iOS version, or any settings therein matter much if at all.

I’m not hopeful but I’ll install this update to see if it helps at all.

1 Like

I’ve raises this with our engineering team and as soon as I have an update I’ll post in here :pray:

4 Likes

Thanks Alan!

1 Like

I’m sure you know how to do this, but this article might help you submit a crash report to Monzo

(I realise it’s a different app, but the steps are the same)

1 Like