Monzo Community - Minimum word count

sorry if this is in the wrong section.

is there anyway the word count within this forum can be decrease

sometimes a response may only require one word but youre forced to write a sentence.

thanks

3 Likes

No ā€¦:slight_smile:

3 Likes

lol

that looks ridiculous

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure that reason the word count is limited is because itā€™s generally considered best practice to use likes rather than creating a post to say ā€œthanksā€ or simply that you agree with something :wink:

i see to your point @alexs but sometimes a ā€œlikeā€ may not adequately express a point

1 Like

If youā€™re trying to make a point, I suspect you need more than 20 characters. Personally Iā€™m not keen to see lots of ā€œthanksā€ posts because however well intentioned they are, theyā€™re really just noise, when you have the like option as an alternative.

But anyway, hereā€™s some discussion from the creator of these sites on the reasoning behind the limit & it looks like Monzo can remove itā€¦

1 Like

11 Likes

You want it increased, but donā€™t like writing a sentance. Am I missing something :wink:

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

So you want to INCREASE the minimum required to post a ONE WORD reply? Iā€™m still scratching my head here?!

2 Likes

ive changed it ā€¦

1 Like

decreasedā€¦

i blame it on that friday feeling

4 Likes

Time for a pint, first round on me :beers:

1 Like

Iā€™m bumping this topic as there has been a big increase of people trying to ā€˜get aroundā€™ the minimum character limit. As you will have noticed, this Monzo community has a 20 character limit as default. Whilst it might seem irritating, it really is for good reason - it discourages adding posts with very little meaningful content.

There are, as people have found, workarounds (such as blurring text). However, this is more irritating than the original limit because other users will click on the blurred text, only to find itā€™s useless. Some users may also subscribe to a thread, and get notifications about new posts that are not adding to the discussion.

If you want to say ā€˜Thanksā€™ to someone (which is less than 20 characters!), just drop them a like.

5 Likes

Weā€™re more than happy to change this if people wantā€¦butā€¦we tested changing it a while ago and the number of useless replies saying just ā€œThanksā€ or ā€œ+1ā€ massively increased overnight.

7 Likes

Can you decrease instead of remove it? idk, maybe 15 characters or 10.

+1 is an awful post, but I have definitely replied with ā€œwowā€ before.

Keep the minimum 20 chars. Danny can get round it now, anyway :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Seems thereā€™s also one for email response. I received help on the forum form several members and one of them emailed their contribution, to which I simply replied thanking them. Said email was bounced back seconds later with the helpful message I had not said enough. Well, as if email isnā€™t already enough of a curse, this has to be thought up by idiots.