Monzo & Collecting Train Tickets

I have seen cases where it tries to match the name on the card to the person who booked the tickets. As your name isn’t on the chip, that could cause an issue for the unusual cases where this check happens.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m new to Monzo and wished I’d checked this before booking on the Trainline - instinctively did it on my normal debit card (old habits will die hard…)

The next time I have to travel, I’m going to try with my card. Trainline just allowed me to add it as another payment option, so I assume all is fine to use it for collection of tickets… thank you!

1 Like

I used Monzo card with Trainline on trip from Leicestershire to London last week , picked tickets up at station - no problems at all

3 Likes

Thank you - this is helpful to know (and remember). Travelling to Bradford from London for work. When I do this again, I’ll defo use my card knowing I can collect with at the station with it :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve used my Monzo card to pick up tickets. Works fine.

2 Likes

Just used monzo card to pick up tickets I bought with Virgin Trains (@BhamNewStreet), no issue. It also worked with a relatives tickets they wanted me to pick up, even though they were purchased under a different name & card.

I’ve picked up tickets using a different card to the one I bought them with before. I don’t think the system checks to be honest, probably a transaction to identify who picked them up in case of fraud.

That’s very interesting… I thought the whole point of the card was to identify you!

Not for TrainLine, any card will do:
452EB273-66C5-4695-A068-96663DC9FF2D

Where you buy the ticket is fairly irrelevant as ticket management is done centrally by the RDG.

Previously, it has been very clear you needed the specific card you used to purchase the tickets. Maybe something has been changed?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that some machines accept any card, and some require the booking card. If you’ve never tried a machine with ‘any’ card before, it’s probably safest to have the booking card with you. Ultimately, though, all that’s needed to identify the tickets to collect is the booking reference, which is unique.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but ran into this issue picking up Trainline tickets from St Pancras to Luton (with East Midlands) using my current account card today. I was short on time so ended up just buying new tickets from the machine - inserting my card to pay didn’t work, but luckily tap and pay did.

Thankfully, I spoke to Trainline on their online chat, and they were really good and refunded the full price.

I’m pretty sure I have used my Monzo card to pick up tickets before, so hopefully it was just that machine and I won’t have issues again in future (will try to give myself more time in future, but was going straight from work to the airport so couldn’t leave too early).

I’ll make sure to try another card in the machine to see if that works if I have the issue again in future!

My partner picked up trainline tickets today at Glasgow Central using Monzo debit card and it was fine so hopefully it was just that machine or a small glitch

I haven’t had issues picking up tickets from bhm new street or London Euston (last week). So may have just been the machine

I’ve picked up tickets, paid for using Monzo, many times at Crewe without problem. Ordered through various TOC’s.

I would make sure that you do have with you the card you used to pay for the tickets

Just FYI, Trainline is almost never the most cheapest option for buying rail tickets (despite what their adverts may lead you to think)

You can buy the same tickets from any train operator’s website without incurring any booking fees.

4 Likes

If purchasing tickets on the day of travel, there aren’t any fees, and it can be easier than using the train companies websites in a mobile. But agree that in advance I wouldn’t use Trainline.

Yep trainline fees are quite annoying. I generally tend to use them to search through fares, haven’t found a nicer/easier to use website (open to any suggestions!). Then book directly with the operator.

1 Like