Monzo App Privacy

So Apple Privacy nutritional labels are out. Here’s Monzo’s:

Other very valid privacy issues have been raised in the past by other users as a result of Monzo’s approach to security, but to gloss over those for now, why does Monzo need to be able to track me across apps and websites?

Focusing on the wording here, some other app nutritional labels go on to explain that their tracking is not linked to your identity, which is not the case with Monzo.

Why is this justified?
How are Monzo using that data?
How does it benefit my Monzo experience?

6 Likes

I don’t believe it is used to track you across sites, I think that is the limited textual definition that Apple provide. If you click “See Details”, you’ll see they use a “Device ID” which is used for Analytics, and also for App Functionality - maybe for identifying the device for logins/fraud/support or whatever - see it’s also linked in “Data Linked to You”.

Compare this to something like the “Facebook” app, which has a muuuuch larger array of information they use for Third Party Advertising, Marketing, Analytics, etc. All within the “Data Used to Track You” section.

For a more in depth explanation, you’re probably best just reading Monzo’s Privacy Policy, which should answer all your questions: https://monzo.com/legal/privacy-notice/

4 Likes

Would be good to know if and what they are using this data for.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve been going through a lot of apps, it’s alarming how many of them may track you across apps and websites.

Although this stuff is fantastic, for me in quite a few cases it’s raised more questions than answers, because I want to know more, in order to make better more informed decisions over which services and apps I want to continue to use.

I don’t use Facebook, so haven’t checked theirs but not surprised by what you say.

In the case with Monzo, my concern isn’t so much the data being collected, but simply the fact it’s being used to track me, as the label states.

Other apps that collect that same info for the same reasons you suggest Monzo do, just don’t have that Data Used to Track You box, since they’re not using it for tracking.

To me this suggests Monzo are using it for something more, without explaining what, why, or how. @MalaiseForever nails it:

I’ve had a brief look through the privacy policy using command F, it seems to explain that they’re using the device identifier and collecting usage data, but not why they may be using that data to track you across apps and websites.

Super quick edit:

combining Monzo’s privacy policy wording, with Apples privacy term definitions, I suspect, or rather hope, the tracking is merely limited to data metrics on your interactions with Monzo adverts viewed outside of the Monzo app, on Google, or Facebook for example.

That’s purely a guess, it’s possible they’re tracking more, but advertising is the only thing in their privacy policy that allows them scope for this.

3 Likes

It may be to give you access to plus offers at other companies , or open banking deeplinks.

Or I could be chatting nonsense.

2 Likes

I think the worse app I’ve found is Facebook, Messenger and Instagram! They track and trace your every move! That’s concerning!

Not sure where you’re looking for messenger. They collect a lot of data, but bizarrely don’t appear to be doing any cross-app tracking.

One thing I’ve learned is a lot of apps are collecting and tracking more than i had ever expected, and as such I’m now reevaluating how useful those apps are.

Good number of expected apps collect no data though, which is a relief, as I’d previously put a lot of research and thought into choosing those apps, which paid off.

I wasn’t expecting Monzo to be tracking me across apps though (some other fintech banks do too, though interestingly, the traditionals don’t), hence my query here. With Facebook and the like, it’s just expected, and I’ve avoided them as much as feasibly possible for a long time because of their practices.

2 Likes

If you fancied sharing the results from other fintechs/banks, I’d be very interested (and very grateful).

If you Google the App Name & iOS store it should come up as a result and take you to it in browser. Eg: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/starling-bank-mobile-banking/id956806430

Then scroll down and you’ll get the info. :+1:t3:

1 Like

You now got hooked me on this

The below is a little concerning from an insurance company particularly as I don’t see an option to give consent to accessing health data. How is this used?

I’m in the camp of not really that fussed what data my apps are collecting.

1 Like

I’ve made a table to hopefully cover some of the more popular banks/apps. They’re ordered in App Store popularity for ease of use, though I may make it alphabetical later for readability. If I’ve missed any, let me know!

I included money dashboard too, as a Monzo employee criticised them for their privacy practices following the launch of plus and boasted Monzo as the more privacy conscious option, so felt it an interesting point of comparison.

Data used to track you Data linked to you Data not linked to you
PayPal Location Purchases Diagnostics
Financial Info
Contacts
User Content
Search History
Browsing History
Identifiers
Usage Data
Other Data
Barclays Not Provided Not Provided Not Provided
Monzo Identifiers Location
Usage Data Contact Info
User Content
Identifiers
Usage Data
Diagnostics
Lloyds Bank Not Provided Not Provided Not Provided
Halifax Not Provided Not Provided Not Provided
NatWest Not Provided Not Provided Not Provided
HSBC Not Provided Not Provided Not Provided
Cash App Identifiers Purchases
Usage Data Financial Info
Contact Info
Contacts
User Content
Identifiers
Usage Data
Diagnostics
Santander Not Provided Not Provided Not Provided
Starling Bank Browsing History Financial Info
Identifiers Location
Usage Data Contact Info
User Content
Identifiers
Usage Data
Diagnostics
Other Data
Nationwide Purchases
Contacts
Identifiers
Usage Data
Diagnostics
Other Data
Trading 212 Contact Info Financial Info
Identifiers Location
Usage Data Contact Info
User Content
Search History
Identifiers
Usage Data
Diagnostics
Revolut Identifiers Purchases
Contact Info
Identifiers
Usage Data
Diagnostics
TSB Data Not Collected
TransferWise Purchases
Financial Info
Contact Info
Contacts
User Content
Search History
Identifiers
Usage Data
Diagnostics
Metro Bank Location Diagnostics
Usage Data
Monese Purchases Purchases Usage Data
Financial Info Financial Info Diagnostics
Location Location
Contact Info Contact Info
Contacts Contacts
User Content User Content
Identifiers Search History
Usage Data Identifiers
Diagnostics Usage Data
Sensitive Info
Diagnostics
RBS Not Provided Not Provided Not Provided
Freetrade Contact Info Purchases
Identifiers Financial Info
Usage Data Location
Contact Info
User Content
Identifiers
Usage Data
Diagnostics
AMEX Identifiers Diagnostics
Usage Data
Diagnostics
Tesco Bank Location Financial Info
User Content Contacts
Identifiers User Content
Usage Data
Diagnostics
Virgin Money Purchases User Content
Financial Info Search History
User Content
Identifiers
Usage Data
Sensitive Info
Diagnostics
Curve Purchases
Financial Info
User Content
Identifiers
Usage Data
Diagnostics
Money Dashboard Usage Diagnostics
First Direct Not Provided Not Provided Not Provided
Danske Bank Usage Data Diagnostics
5 Likes

I think the keyword here is may. It shouldn’t be possible to access your health info without your permission. This data is just to demonstrate, I think, how they’re using the data should you allow them access to it.

There is no setting for health info at all so not sure why it’s there… not sure how I feel about it

To stay on topic I’m happy with Amex and MoneyDashboard

1 Like

Probably also worth sharing the info for the wallet app to establish a bit of a baseline over what we whould expect of our financial apps, as Apple is quite well regarded for not collecting more data than they need in order for the app or service to properly function

2 Likes

Where can you find this info?

If you are using a supported iPhone, then just update to the latest iOS version (iOS 14.3) and the data will then show in the App Store on each app’s page - scroll down and you will see the privacy details in the same style as the screenshots in this thread.

3 Likes

Thanks. My iPhone updated the OS overnight, and I now see it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.