Monzo and Starling CEOs on today's outage (25/10/2017)

I had enough of Windoze and use a MacBook now, I think I might do a hackintosh soon.

1 Like

I stuck Snow Leopard on a Dell Mini 9. (Iā€™ve still got it).

Dell shipped a netbook (remember those?) with a SSD so small, Windows was unable to update itself.:roll_eyes:

Call me cynical but @nickbw lost me somewhere between installations and Bluetooth
Too late for me to be here I guess

1 Like

Vaguely remember them.

This is what I am gonna do it on, High Sierra just came out for it so will give it a whirl.

1 Like

I think the reason Anne got so many likes on the Starling community was they proactively got in touch with GPS and got some of their Starling staff into GPS to work on their problems. That showed acumen and is to be congratulated rather than this communityā€™s usual childish ā€˜lets attack the competition and score some Monzo fanboy pointsā€™. The factual highlighting of issues at other financial firms is valid but this sort of thread just makes the community of Monzo users less credible.

4 Likes

I sit somewhere in between the Starling bashing and Starling praising.

For me, Iā€™m still soured by the poor response from Starling. It took them a couple of days of complaints on the forum before Anne said anything and even then it took a reply to remind her to apologise (I still find her replies quite corporate but then I think thatā€™s just the route Starling are taking)

Having said that, since then she has communicated a little more which is good. Iā€™m not keen on the blaming another pre-paid card, Iā€™d rather the blame would have stopped at GPS but thatā€™s just personal taste I guess.

Iā€™ve also notched the other Starlingers have been a little quieter during this week. Hopefully not a sign of things to come and theyā€™re just riding out this little storm.

As Iā€™ve said elsewhere, Iā€™m happy using Starling as my main bank at the moment, just not using their debit card.

I think all of this has been over dramatised but improvements still need to be made with handling problems at Starling. Still early days though so still plenty of time to improve :smile:

(Edit) forgot to mention that I do find some of the replies to Anne, even when she doesnā€™t even really say anything in her post, are a bit cult of Starling, itā€™s a little strange

2 Likes

Iā€™m typing this on a Hackintosh. Been using it as my main machine since 2012, and things just work.

1 Like

I am not sure there has been intentional attack you put it. What I have observed is just praise without constructive critique and challange. An orgrnaisation should not try to trasfer blame they should own up and just simply explain and give itā€™s customer proper assurences rather than saying they are observing situation, thatā€™s my openion of course.

Just because someone says this happened because a prepay card provider failed to respond is just a statement in my opinion not factual.
Emphasis should be to learn, do something, eliminate and assure. A lot of Monzo customers are trying out Starling as well so discussing and comparing makes sense to me. In my opinion you can have a constructive debate at Starling community because their most active users seem to have complete different mindset about companyā€™s direction. Monzo have a long way to go lot of users here can get very exited sometime but overall threads here are more informative and useful.

3 Likes

For me I donā€™t believe that there ever was Starling staff on site to resolve this issue it does not make sense to me that they would allow this, further more as many people have said both here and there she could have easily have said more about the issues and how they are looking to resolve this instead of blaming everyone else but themselves.

I for one am not looking to score ā€˜fanboy pointsā€™ as you put it I am just pointing out that what she said was not an apology just a shift of blame and that the differences in the way issues are handled both here and there are massively different.

3 Likes

I think paragraphs would help

2 Likes

I use a Hackintosh as well. Use the right parts and its quite stable.

1 Like

Well, in that caseā€¦ :joy::joy::joy:

I agreeā€¦to an extent. I find it a little surprising that this is actually the case. I donā€™t think a customer should be fixing a suppliers systems - this seems to be completely the wrong way around, although I do agree inter-company integration in situations like this is beneficial for all. My issue is more with GPSā€¦

1 Like

I largely agree with this, what would be the relevance of the Starling staff being ā€œon-siteā€? The code will be hosted remotely, the servers will be off in a data-centre.

If you want to second your staff to GPS then thereā€™s literally zero need to relocate them to someone elseā€™s offices, especially considering that it seems like GPSā€™ development team are off in India somewhere and their two London offices are a couple of flats.

1 Like

Reallyā€¦?

1 Like

Im not a fan of Starling , having had a few run ins with Anne and Megan previously , but I have just applied for their card - which was quite a slick on boarding process so far - and a great card carrier I must admit - this thread is getting a bit too much Starling bank bashing from the original title , I thought Starling had just moved to new offices at Finsbury Ave in London ( not really a couple of flats :slight_smile: - any link @tommy5dollar where Starling are outsourcing to India ? ) Both Monzo and Starling have just moved offices to cater for more staff , they are both now employing around 150 ish people at their offices - I wouldnā€™t describe Monzos offices as a couple of flats :slight_smile:

• I really do hope both succeed, there are plenty of customers to go round for each to make significant inroads into the legacy market - as an investor in Monzo I am obviously biased towards Monzo :slight_smile:
1 Like

I work regularly with customer where I have to go onsite to access anything, as they donā€™t allow any kind of remote access, I would hope in the banking sector that would be the norm.

2 Likes

Sensing tension in the room.

I have been surprised at the growth in comments on this thread over the past couple of days. The same messages are going around and around, with the odd amusing side-chat.

To me itā€™s fairly simple. Monzo and Starling handled things different, if you donā€™t like the way one organisation handled the response - donā€™t use them.

I think both Organisations have not been optimum over the past couple of days for different reasons.

6 Likes

Mate of mine son works on the Android team at Starling and he is certainly not in India or anywhere else east of the UK.

2 Likes

To be fair to Tommy he wrote ā€˜Seems Likeā€™

2 Likes