Monzo Adverts 2018

Interesting to see Monzo advertising.

I assume the lack of call to action is likely deliberateā€¦

2 Likes

Well I would assume too - just donā€™tā€¦ like it haha.

1 Like

Hey folks :wave:

To answer some of these early questions quicklyā€¦

How do we measure success?

It is tricky! But weā€™ll be looking at things like how many people sign up during the period when the ads are up vs the norm. Thereā€™s also a bit of this which is about general ā€˜brand awarenessā€™. Sometimes it seems like everyone in London has a Monzo card (if only :heart:), but thatā€™s definitely not the case.

In terms of using a code to track people, itā€™s just another layer folks have to go through before they get an account. That extra friction doesnā€™t seem worth it to us. We might feel differently in future though!

Why no web URL/call to action?

We did some testing of this, and found that pretty much everyoneā€™s next step would be to Google Monzo, or head straight to the app stores. Weā€™d rather people just download the app, of course, and having the address on the ad would just be another element that we could do without. (Again, we might feel differently in future if these ads entirely failā€¦)

On the call to action point, this is actually 1 of 3 ads weā€™re running, and theyā€™re not all running in Londonā€¦ so keep an eye out for the other two :eyes:

16 Likes

Havenā€™t seen any in Edinburghā€¦ but if you doā€¦Transport for Edinburgh (Lothian Buses/Edinburgh Trams) is where you do it.

Heā€™s an employee (I think). Itā€™s a real person according to slack, volunteered his name

1 Like

I think this is clever and I like it.

Thereā€™s no need for a url or url/TUBE for tracking, I usually judge those ads negatively ā€” they donā€™t care about the users as much as selling their discounted product, trial etc. Understanding that people will simply Google it treats people with a bit more dignity and intelligence.

No gimmicks. Awareness is good.

7 Likes

I think the lack of CTA URL is fine, most people just type a word into the search bar in their browser these days and go to the first thing that comes up, or because its got the App Store logos theyā€™ll end up there. Personally, I much prefer a URL but thatā€™s just because Iā€™m an old-timer on the internet and like to go direct to a website - one thing that grinds my gears are ads which say ā€˜Search forā€¦ā€™ and give you something to google, rather than just trusting us to remember a domain name.

Nice to see advertising, Iā€™ve mentioned Monzo to some people who arenā€™t keen because theyā€™ve just never seen it advertised anywhere but after seeing these, theyā€™ll know itā€™s legit.

5 Likes

Iā€™m also someone who likes to see the website, and have the memory to remember it.

Butā€¦

The amount of people Iā€™ve seen go to the wrong site is incredible - It doesnā€™t help that a lot of new companies donā€™t have a .com anymore, and itā€™s .io, .co or something completely different.

A simple ā€˜Where did you hear about us?ā€™ type of question on signup would suffice (if there isnā€™t one already because I canā€™t remember :rofl: ).

One of those options would be ā€˜billboard advertā€™. Then based on what home address they sign up with you can cross reference campaigns with the date they signed up and youā€™ll know which campaign was a success. :1st_place_medal:

Slightly different one spotted :eyes:

2 Likes

Just seen another on the Victoria Lineā€¦

20181018_182736

2 Likes

Tonight on my commute back I saw my first Monzo advertā€¦only upside downšŸ˜‚

19 Likes

Hey @Tink , hope you donā€™t mind but Iā€™ve moved your post here to join the others whoā€™ve spotted Monzo on the tube :smiley:

How can they put it upside down without noticing ? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Wow! How did the ad company not even notice that? Haha.

@tristan just in case you hadnā€™t seen this yet.

1 Like

OMG :joy::joy::joy::joy: HOW?! :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Who sticks that on and doesnā€™t think ā€œhuh, thatā€™s a bit weirdā€ ā€¦ That tube mustā€™ve been doing something bizarre at the timeā€¦ :joy:

2 Likes

Might be a ploy. Iā€™d have paid much more attention to that, than one which was the right way up

4 Likes

Whatā€™s the bank called again? OZUOW

9 Likes

Reverse phycology!

Sorry! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

No worries, my bad! I didnā€™t see this thread when I postedā€¦sorry!

1 Like