Monzo Adverts

(Marcus Nailor, Hot Coral Detective) #141

I do know where you’re coming from though :joy: It is hard to put a finger on why though :yum:

I think that Monzo has personality :stuck_out_tongue: That’s (for me) what sets them apart from all other banks :grin: Everything they do, ads, blog posts, artwork, etc. it all has personality where no other bank seems to!

(Liam) #142

With most bank adverts I swear you can go the whole thing without knowing that they’re advertising a financial institution.

More often than not they’re advertising a vague positive feeling followed by their logo.

(Caspar Aremi) #143

I saw a big animated ad in Angel station over the weekend. Almost caused an escalator drama trying to stop and look at it. Looked great! (My friend couldn’t understand why I cared so much about an ad for a bank…)

Seen one on the Manchester Metrolink

And such attention to detail, the top transaction is Transport for Greater Manchester (TFGM) instead of TFL

(Marco Slater) #145

Started seeing them in Manchester City centre a few weeks ago, was quite surprised, but I like it! Hopefully more people pick up on it and sign up! :smiley:

Relevant

What exactly is the “great pay”.

It’s so irritating when job ads don’t give you enough details, so you only realise applying is pointless when you’re halfway through a form…

(Ryan Kirk) #148

I’ve noticed a good few ads in my Snapchat lately!

(George Onwundinjo) #149

N26 have started to bid on Monzo as a keyword on Google. Somebody should tell them so that they can protect their space

Same with Revolut. Type that into Google and N26 comes up.

(Jack) #151

I’ve seen a lot of N26 adverts on the tube this week.

Haven’t noticed an my monzo though.

The top bidder was previously some spammy website offering “Monzo credit cards” for many months until n26 came along and offered more £ per click.

Monzo are not interested in paying for their own keyword. I told them about the spam site before and they didn’t do anything about it.

If you don’t like competitors paying for other peoples’ keywords do what I do, click on them for fun and they have to pay for nothing :grin:

I asked Simon about this the other day.

(Ben ) #154

I always think keyword targeting is particularly pointless, especially if it’s another brand’s name. There’s a reason that the person searching typed in ‘Monzo’ and not ‘N26’ - it means there’s already a level of brand awareness.

It is concerning that when searching ‘mobile banks’ and ‘challenger banks’ that Monzo is mentioned much less than the competitors, however, I do feel like this word of mouth marketing message is going well for them. But if they’re to smash the 10mil target, it’s not going to come without targeted marketing (or is unlikely to).

(George Onwundinjo) #155

Interesting, they have enough confidence in the strength of the brand / word of mouth

(charles ragg) #156

i see loads of monzo adverts on my 4chan app

(Charlie) #157

Discreet Monzo sighting on a Google Pay Snapchat advert!

(Rika Raybould) #158

It’s a bit of a money sink to do this and only really benefits Google. :disappointed:

We tried but again, it’s Google’s game and they decide the rules such that the only effective way to tackle it was to bid more or let the other side run out of money first. :grimacing:

Counterpoint: What even is a “mobile bank” or “challenger bank”? Is this really something the general public is searching? I personally don’t think we need any qualifiers on the word bank nowadays. :thinking:

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Viola Black (Was: Well… That’s one way to advertise :thinking:)

(George Onwundinjo) #161

Hi Ben, I work in the pay per click industry and to you it may seem pointless but it can be an effective way of acquiring new users.

Looking on Google trends it is quite concerning to see the impact of monzo’s lack of advertising and protecting their own space.