Mobile networks

Sorry, 3 haha :slight_smile:

I also find EE great, I have them on my work mobile. If youā€™re looking for best overall performance they are the ones to go for.

Used to be on o2 until they decided a nice loyalty discount of Ā£1 was acceptableā€¦ despite being beaten by the competition.

Switched to Vodafone back in January, have to say, been pretty decent so far. Speeds have been good, excellent signal in Zakynthos and Amsterdam. Virtually the same package from o2 with the added bonus of NowTV entertainment for 12 months, all for the same price I was paying o2 before!

1 Like

I used to live in Manc city centre and was on Three at the time. Speeds and coverage in the centre were amazing - but everywhere else I went it was a bit hit and miss, and completely non-existent in more rural areas.

1 Like

So annoyingly I am stuck in a contract for another year. Unless I stump up Ā£300+ or EE decide to up their prices, Iā€™m with them for the long haul!

Note to self: Never get a mobile contract again. There is no way out

1 Like

lol this is how it works if you donā€™t have speedy boarding anyway

5af679bd23cba8931bade871f2e2818543beeb1a

1 Like

Yeah I didnā€™t sit here for a few seconds clicking on play wondering why nothing was happening :flushed:

2 Likes

:joy_cat: CX-craZUkAAoy0d

1 Like

Iā€™ve been with Three now since 2015 and havenā€™t had any issues! Iā€™m on the Apple Upgrade Program too and have this coupled with a SIM only contract (monthly rolling).

Never had a need to get in touch with their customer services, the signal is great around where I live (Leeds) and I get a really good deal on my plan (Ā£18/month for unlimited everything). I was with EE for years, since my first phone at 13 (was Orange back then) and always found the signal to be hit and miss. Canā€™t really comment on how it is nowadays though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m on Three. I switched from EE having been a customer since the Orange days! This was mainly because I couldnā€™t renew my contract as (at that time) they wouldnā€™t accept the Monzo sort code :stuck_out_tongue: and Three was pretty cheap.

I donā€™t have major problems, but:

• Speeds around Waterloo are atrocious. Good luck loading anything!
  • Signal can sometimes be a bit patchy but is generally okay
  • Roaming charges in Canada are pretty awful and (unlike EE) if you turn on roaming data you get charged at Ā£6/Mb as opposed to just hitting a paywall and being asked to pay for a certain amount of data. You also have to turn on roaming data to buy their Ā£5/day data thingā€¦

Itā€™s a one year, SIM only contract. Iā€™ll have a look at prices when I renew.

3 Likes

Thanks Hugh!

How do you find the charges elsewhere in Europe? Is roaming in the EU free or does this cost more?

Itā€™s legally mandated as free now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I renewed a Vodafone SIM only contract recently, 18GB for Ā£9.50. 50% off the usual price of Ā£19, just by asking retentions for it. Itā€™s not a Red Entertainment plan though.

Worth asking for your PAC and waiting for retentions to contact you usually a few days later.

2 Likes

I also use giffgaff and really like it. There are options that might have a bit cheaper deals. However, I also call often abroad and their
international call rates are very attractive. Now when Iā€™m back in Poland I never switch to my Polish sim - it is cheaper to call a Polish number using giffgaff than my PAYG Polish sim.

Also I donā€™t want to have a contract :wink:

1 Like

6Ā£/MB? Thatā€™s robbery! :scream: Even satellite/BGAN traffic isnā€™t that expensive.

And I thought my 10p/MB was expensiveā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

They do now (EE) in case you go looking when your renewing.

1 Like

Yes they do as I am on EE and changed my account details online to Monzo and the DD went out successfully.

I know :wink: We spent a while getting this sorted!

6 Likes

I canā€™t remember who offered it to me now :sweat_smile: he was leaving Three and had a couple of codes left for F&F, so I nabbed the last one! Might be worth asking around both forums, someone might work with them?

1 Like

This happened to me when I was in Korea, I left my data on by accident since my flight was from Germany and racked up a charge of Ā£57 or something in 10mins as all my messages and notifications came in. Props to Threeā€™s customer service though- they offered to take Ā£20 off it and and add to my monthly limit too so my bill eventually worked out to Ā£30+ including the monthly charge.

1 Like

OK internetā€¦ Do your thing!

Iā€™m looking for a sim only deal for my son - As cheap as possible!

Initially went with PAYG, but the data charges for little things (imessage, location services, system services) means that it can end up being prohibitive.

Is there anything better than GifGaffs Ā£5 per month for 500MB and calls/texts (the calls/texts are almost irrelevant as he wonā€™t be using them that much)?

1 Like