Mobile networks

Whilst we’re all sharing speed tests results, here’s mine on Sky’s 4G. Would love 5G, but I’ve only ever briefly seen the symbol pop up in a few areas in England.

On Three 5G in Gosport, Hampshire. I have 5G home broadband on Three too but that tends to average around 220 Mbps. Pretty close to a mast!

3 Likes

Let’s hope PAYG gets eSIM support, but probably not

2 Likes

I think the smarty site refers to saying it will eventually.

1 Like

Recently switched from EE to O2. Live in a London suburb.

In test list below bottom test is EE, top 3 are O2 done in various rooms at home. All 4G. EE very impressive. O2 disappointing, especially upload speed.

1 Like

Are you going to stay on o2 or move back to EE

EE are always good, in my experience all networks are pretty bad in London

I’m near Manchester and only get 6mbps. Theirs a mast on the building facing my house. I’m gonna look at switching to EE. Almost double the price but might see if they can do a deal

1 Like

They might do you a deal, I get 60GB data for (what was £16 a month) £17.66 a month, which is a good deal in my eyes, are there cheaper networks? yes, but they tend to be slower

Been to spain recently and got 5G in most areas, vs my Vodafone SIM, that A, didn’t really work and B only got 3G for some reason, iPhone 13 Pro Max (5G auto on both SIMS)

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll say that’s a good deal too. Due to a recent RPI increase I get around 15gb of data for £12, But since virgin media has joint with o2 I get it doubled to 30gb

2 Likes

That’s a good deal, my mum on o2 and we have virgin media as a household, but for some reason we cannot join Volt, o2 said 2 weeks ago they’d get it working, still isn’t :laughing:

O2 are a poor show but they are slowly investing. They’re such a heavily congested network it’s unreal.

EE has great bandwidth for band 3 1800mhz across the country which is good for multi connections, and due to their high costs, keeps the data hogs away.

Vodafone a good all rounder, but expensive. Voxi may be worth a shot?

Three is on its way to top trumps of all of them given their 5G spectrum and their rollout across the country.

If you get good EE signal you’re likely to get a good Three signal due to the mast sharing agreement previous held, same goes for O2 and voda but both are winding down and all going solo.

The potential 3/Vodafone merger on the horizon may force voda to sell some spectrum, hopefully to O2 to help their network and recoup some money.

I moved from O2 to Three as O2 has a false 5G connection here, showing available but sticking to 4G speeds.

Three has average 20-50mbps until on 5G it goes up to 300+.

2 Likes

I think it’s because it’s a new customer one. I know for a fact when my contract is up they’ll try to double the cost

Have you rang virgin media? I’m sure theirs a option for volt benefits not showing

We had, yes. but we may have to ring them again.

1 Like

The O2 contract and Virgin package need to be in the same name. Just reach out to O2 on Twitter direct message and query it, think that’s how I got mine sorted.

They’ve not removed our VM speed since I left … yet :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They changed it now.

It just has to be the same address. Everyone in the household now benefits.

The virgin isn’t in my name but my o2 contract is in my name and I get it. They changed it around 2 months ago.

3 Likes

So, speaking to someone at Three - as I’m going to Disney :partying_face: for 2 weeks - and they said travelling abroad they’re advising all customers to get a PAYG sim, instead of paying any of the out-of-UK roaming fees.

Seems slightly counter intuitive that it’s the current suggestion for Three customers :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Must be more difficult to charge payg than it is contract.

Mines capped at £16pm and don’t tend to remove it, I’ll grab a payg sim if/when we decide to go away.

Yea, I wouldn’t normally care - if I was in the EU for a few days, meh I’ll pay it. BUT, going to America for 2 weeks, it’s close to £80 for the trip just on data!

I wonder if I can add a PAYG sim as a 2nd e-sim, and disable my main account sim temporarily in my iPhone? Anyone know?

Does the place you’re going to not have free wifi?

1 Like