Mobile networks

I always think ofcom should be as heavy on networks as FCA is on banks.

They’d soon up their game.

6 Likes

It’s not even that when you get an eSim and the QR code is displayed online

I think I’ve mentioned before that Vodafone accidently issued me a contract that does not allow for RPI or any other increases. As long as I don’t change the contract the price will never change.

4 Likes

I joined a network in February and got the RPI+ increase in April as qualifying date was 1st March. That should not be allowed

3 Likes

Eek. Yeah most contracts work in this way.

Although I noticed o2 charge everyone a different RPI increase as when the email went out people on Twitter was complaining. Some was saying why’s it going up 14% and I was confused since mines gone up 8.6% then i saw some thanking o2 since it’s only 2.1%

Are they even allowed to charge everyone differently and who decide X persons will be X rate while someone else’s will be different

1 Like

I think this depends on their contract at the time of taking it out, if it was pre CPI + RPI, they’d only be subject to RPI, but I could be totally wrong.

1 Like

O2 are now RPI+3.9% which means they had the highest increase of all main networks as EE and Vodafone use CPI and Three uses a flat 4.9%.

So because I took out my contact last year and it increased 8.6% for me, does that mean they should of only charged me 3.9? And technically owe me some back?

Depends when you took out the contract as I think they originally only went up by RPI each year then they realised they could get away with charging RPI+. They have to obey the terms you agreed to, I suspect you are on an RPI+0% so you just got charged RPI. RPI is nearly always more than CPI which is why it is a con.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m definitely going to have to check my contract

Masts are only one part of the solution. 5G is limited indoors even in areas with ‘full coverage’. Vodafone are in the process rolling out its full fibre network in Edinburgh (and other providers -direct to household) and this will improve 5G coverage significantly.

1 Like

Starting a new job and they’re providing a phone allowance which isn’t ideal. Temporarily I’m just going to use a separate line for work calls. What network offers esims and are they difficult to switch between lines.

Worth checking if your current network offers esim and throwing in a smarty or similar £5pm unlimited calls and texts deal.

Most will pick up if used for business though, three business might be worth a call to see if they offer similar, though don’t offer esim yet.

2 Likes

Good shout. I’ve checked and Vodafone do offer esim and it’s also free to transfer to that.

So I’ll do that and pop a pay and go sim card in. Hopefully using dual sim on the iPhone is straight forward. It’s just until I’m settled in the job then I might consider buying an actual phone.

You can choose which is your preferred line when you put the new sim in, and it guides you through options of how you’d like the set up to work either default outbound calls to personal or work etc.

1 Like

You can also change it on a per call basis

2 Likes

Good news if you’re Three customer with a cellular Apple Watch… Who knows, maybe they’ll start supporting Visual Voicemail next :joy:

1 Like

Poor Birmingham’s lost its 4G on EE!

1 Like