Mobile networks

Sorry. I’m not sure I understand much of that. I can make calls over 4G if that’s what you mean.

I can make calls perfectly well without WiFi calling so it’s no big deal for me. And for the 10 minutes of calls per week, there’s no benefit in changing my network settings. Thanks for your help, tho. I appreciate your expertise and willingness to help on the forum :+1:

1 Like

You can cut the number of SIMs required. If you’re on iOS, go to Settings, then carrier, and turn automatic off. You’ll get a list of available networks. There’s probably a similar thing on Android.

Three and EE are the worse for me…I think Giffgaff are closer to Monzo. A network run by a community and no stupid annoying call centres to worry about. I get 3gb data(plus 1gb as a spare) unlimited minutes and texts. 02 signal great in Leeds. I’ve tried all the big networks and for me Giffgaff rules uk

3 Likes

That doesn’t give you any indication of signal quality though. At least not on android.

1 Like

No. But if a network is missing, you won’t need to get a PAYG SIM from that network.

1 Like

Sorry but if you don’t know then why would you say

when you take into account what kind of personal data is being sold under the hood

I don’t think you are totally wrong but it’s just seemed OTT. Monzo would be using our data to recommend services in future this would be the same as any other tech company where we sacrifice our data to have convenient access to services and features.

Whats wrong with 0% credit agreement with the network provider and an option to pay off early? O2 refresh is just convenient because of choice of mobile phone available, IMO.

Sorry but if you don’t know then why would you say

I have enough experience dealing with this industry to know that they would be doing (in my opinion) nefarious things with the data without even reading the privacy policy. Happy to be proven wrong but it won’t happen (unfortunately).

Monzo would be using our data to recommend services in future this would be the same as any other tech company where we sacrifice our data to have convenient access to services and features.

Monzo does not want to resell that data though, and I trust them (for now) to only recommend providers that align with Monzo’s ethics.

I would not trust any mobile provider to have any ethics, let alone be technically competent to actually manage the personal data themselves instead of just giving it away to the highest bidder.

Whats wrong with 0% credit agreement with the network provider and an option to pay off early?

The fact that you have to pay off early if you want to switch networks? Pretty big drawback if you ask me.

1 Like

I don’t suppose you know if that’s still available do you? Sounds dreamy…

1 Like

I get 12gb for £12

2 Likes

Very slightly off topic, but I often travel to a place with poor mobile coverage outdoors, and coupled with thick stone walls, no signal indoors except right next to a window.

My phone is on Three, but I have an EE Myfi router which sits on the window sill or outside and gives me internet access indoors. So it might be a solution for some.

Also, when I’m out and about, of I can’t get any signal on my phone, there’ll likely be a signal on the router, or vice versa

Three are good in areas with few customers, but once you start getting into large cities/towns, the congestion starts hurting.

Their customer support is also pretty terrible.

Liam

5 Likes

That 3 deal is full of holes.

You don’t board with speedy boarding - it’s after them.

You’re being made to feel like putting your bag in the hold is a good thing. For most people with hand luggage size bags this isn’t an advantage.

It’s only on the outbound flight. If you want to do the same return you have to pay.

1 Like

I’m confused. Are your bags put in the cabin or in the hold? Why is waiting to pick them up from the carousel a good thing?

Exactly. You are making it easier for them!

Given you need to pay for this on the return, you need to make sure your luggage is cabin sized anyway.

2 Likes

I’m on Three. Plans tend to be good priced and it is quite reliable around my neck of the woods, even though I live on the edge of the Pennines where you would have thought it would be sketchy.

Customer services can be terrible though. I had some horrors in the past. However, I don’t need to ring customer services as most things I need are on their web portal.

I would say, check the coverage in your area from your partner, if its good, go for it.

I will say, if you can get a Flash Deal on Virgin Mobiles website, it can be better than many of Three’s plans for a comparable price, and they uses the EE network. Never used Virgin Mobile though so can’t tell you how good they are.

3 Likes

Back on topic, I’m coming to the end of a Vodafone SIM only contract. I pay ~£22/month including Spotify, which gives me >10gb for around £12 once you deduct the tenner I’d otherwise be paying on Spotify.

I don’t need quite that much data (although the inevitable cat gif party for a million customers might dent it a bit) - anyone got any suggestions for a replacement?

1 Like

I’ve been quite happy with Vodafone for a number of years now. There were some areas of poor coverage I found with ee, even in London, particularly around Walthamstow Village and near Brentford/South Ealing, whereas Vodafone works flawlessly. I haven’t been with Three for years but remember their 4g being similar or slower to 3g; it sounds like that hasn’t changed.

Also, Vodafone aren’t necessarily that expensive. I recently got a retention deal from them giving unlimited minutes, texts and 18gb of data for £9.50/month. Plus, their roaming coverage is the best by far, no more capped speeds in Europe and I can roam in India and Sri Lanka when I travel there in a few months; most other UK networks would be astronomically expensive to roam there.

2 Likes

I will say, if you can get a Flash Deal on Virgin Mobiles website

Please don’t.

The customer service is an absolute joke - if you think the other networks’ are bad, wait until you see these monkeys. They are so bad they can’t even keep notes on your account when they transfer your call around, so you have to explain your situation again and again to the next guy you get on the line, just for them to tell you you’re in the wrong department and transfer you again.

They only use EE for the radio side of things - the data side is handled by Virgin, and that has all sorts of problems. Last November I gave them a shot and it was absolutely terrible, the entire data plane would crash during peak times, and when it didn’t crash there were issues where Siri was blocked (check their “community”). I’m not sure if it’s improved but I would really not go with them.

If you want EE just get EE.

2 Likes

Where I live (South Wales) I’ve always find them excellent, customer support is also really good compared to the others.
As with all mobile networks they vary from area to area.

Them? Meaning 3 or EE?

1 Like