Merits and mechanics of a joint account

The fact that people get married less however does not directly imply that people want/need joint accounts less. People who live together as a couple, married or not, still want to manage finances jointly and end up getting joint accounts - they are not just for married couples.

6 Likes

Oh no, of course. I’m not trying to make that implication, it’s just to help explain the modern fluidity of some households like mine and how/why they form.

1 Like

I’d put money down all day on marriage rates for same-sex couples being at a record high! :wink:

I know there’s more household variation nowadays, but two adult households must still number in the millions.

Even if same-sex marriage is in decline, we’re not at the point where they’re as immaterial as cheques (imaging!).

3 Likes

Likely because in the scheme of things, not been legal.

2 Likes

Hence the :wink: !

1 Like

Me and Ben together 4.5 years, don’t ever plan getting married :joy: in terms of being on topic, we have a joint account but solely because it makes it easier for him to see the maths when bill day comes.

6 Likes

How about a shared pot with its own account number and sort code :rofl:

1 Like

That would work on paper and be a simple solution. And also allow Plus/Premium for one, or all of the people with access to the shared pot to use Custom Categories and VC’s via their Personal accounts. But the categories and cards wouldn’t be joint/shared. And could you have a Bills pot ‘under’ the joint/shared pot to ringfence funds in the same way you can with an actual Joint account? Probably not. The more you think about it, the Joint account as it stands has less limitations.

2 Likes