Merchant Data Corrections

Could the “Marks and Spencer” merchant please be corrected to “Marks & Spencer”.

It’s been annoying me for ages.

(Jack) #869

I thought they referred to themselves as M&S would that be better?

(Lancelot Payne) #870

Marks & Spencer would be better I’ve wanted it to be corrected to Marks & Spencer for the longest time.

Submitted few corrections in app. Really impressed with the speed! Nice job! :heartpulse:

(conrad) #872

This happened to me too! Was promoting showing Monzo to my girlfriend and she asked me when I went to Chiquitos, when it was actually our Frankie & Benny’s meal :joy:
Submitted the F&B correction, but has now gone back to The Restaurant Group.

Is there any way to split these merchants up or provide more specific info when we submit the corrections to prevent crossovers?

(Rachel Raybould) #873

I am trying to sort this out since I don’t get what is going on really. Keep everyone updated.

(Rachel Raybould) #874

Depends when I am online :hot_coral_heart:
Back on tomorrow

(Charlie) #875

Frankie and Bennies, Chiquito, wagamama’s and a few other restaurants are part of “The Restaurant Group”.

You can obviously pay the normal way by getting the bill and using the pin machine, this will report them to Monzo as the restaurant brand name:

but you can also use their app to pay, this is faster and you can leave quicker so I do it sometimes but all the restaurants in the group use the same payment provider probably so it reports it as the generic name of “Restaurant Group”:

If the brand name is there then mark it as the brand, if it is restaurant group then call it restaurant group. If someone submits a correction for the Restraurant Group to call it one of the brands then you’ll have to remember to not do it because thats the generic online payment… unless you have a way of locking changes to merchant data once you’ve validated it? Not sure, but hope that explains it :joy:

I wonder if Monzo could collect a geolocation from your phone when you make a transaction? That could then be used to triangulate exact merchants when there’s a problem like this.

It’ll need to be privacy compliant, but I wonder whether this could be a thing (or whether similar data is already collected for anti fraud purposes)?

(Neil M) #878

Shall I test this as I have been playing around with csv files and geolocation?

Go for it!

(Can you extract locations from the API?)

(Neil M) #880

I gave up with the API awhile ago. I extracted my GPS archive from Google (I have it on all the time). Then my transaction data. I’ve just got to change the time stamp (doesn’t seem to be standard) then add a little tolerance to it and then match the latitude and longitude and then see if I can use Google API to plot it

(Jai Sullivan) #881

Am I the only one that thinks this notification looks a bit naff as ‘:monorail: 4 :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿‘? I’d prefer just the one train emoji or something similar.

At the very least they should be using 4️⃣…

Yeah, that one’s trying a bit too hard, I think :pensive:

(Jai Sullivan) #884

Emoji overload! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

At least :bullettrain_front: :four: :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 would be clear that it’s an emoji string. The “4” made me think too much about what it was!

Edit: wot, no :Wales: emoji?! Scandalous!

(Colin Robinson) #886

:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Hmm, looks ok before I save the message but then changes to a black flag?

(Jack) #887

Ewww just the train emoji will do Imo

(Peter Shillito) #888

Train and Wales flag would be fine. No need for the “4” or a :four: IMO - keep the flag though :slight_smile: