Merchant Data Corrections

It’s still worth sending in as it will get to the point where Monzo will have to implement some kind of automation as @Rika rightly pointed out here. I’m sure these reports are all kept and can be used in the future as a dataset for an intelligent Merchant Feedback system.

Heck, it would probably take me a month or two to scan over the data and automate a lot of the reviews. A simple points/ranking based system would work incredibly well. If a merchant receives 5-10+ similar suggestions for the address or logo then it is updated automatically. Depending on how many valid corrections a user has, this increases the chance of their review being accepted. If the merchant has had the same details for longer than 30 days and received multiple requests for it to be updated, only then will a human need to intervene to verify the correction. With regards to identifying merchants that are owned by a larger company (Wetherspoons in this example) then we can use geo data to run some searches and find out whether to show them as the name of the pub, or as a branch of Wetherspoons. I know payment references have been changing a fair bit recently (Uber etc) but again, I’m sure the current system can be improved upon. Some simple regular expressions will help identify payments and associate them with merchants.

Personally I would prefer to see this fixed or at least implemented in a more accurate way, before Monzo introduce any new features to their current accounts. Things like shared tabs and new categories are great, but when one of Monzo’s most visible features doesn’t work properly, it gets frustrating. I think this thread goes to show than it’s not an isolated issue to a handful of people.

16 Likes