McColl's enters administration

Dam, that’s such a shame for everyone who works there. I hope they can be employed elsewhere

My local one has a post office within, so hopefully it will remain.

1 Like

The full list is here:

There’s around 50 or so who also include a Post Office - apparently they’ll be closed early next year to allow people to use them for posting Xmas stuff.

1 Like

The little local store isn’t being shut. Wonder what they’ll do with it… it’s far too small to be a morrisons.

1 Like

Morrisons has a brand similar to Tesco Express and Sainsbury Local called Morrisons Daily. Theyll be remaining most of the McColls store that.

1 Like

And Asda has recently opened its first Asda Express store. Seems all the big supermarkets want to increase their hold on the convenience store market.

2 Likes

It’s opening a hell of a lot more, rapidly. It’s bought out co-op petrol stations including all the shops attached to them. So they’ll all turn into mini Asda

2 Likes

Didn’t know about the petrol stations.

I do wonder why Asda never seemed bothered about convenience stores when it seems like a pretty decent way to get some of the market from Tesco and Sainsbury’s.

2 Likes

I think because Walmart owned it, they weren’t interested in smaller locations, they like the big box stores. Now it’s got new owners, they understand that smaller shops are required to compete more. Helps that they own a lot of petrol stations, so they kind of know the market in a way

2 Likes