Mattresses

Our spare room has a Casper and I have to say I can’t get comfortable on it. I do have a tempur on my actual bed so I think I am just committed with a very expensive mattress forever.

Wasn’t horrific but I was glad when I went back to my bed.

I’m a ‘hot’ sleeper so the idea of memory foam gives me the fear, I tried it once many years ago and it was just too warm.

That said, heard a lot of good things about most of these and need to get a new mattress anyway… but how to choose?

Any hot sleepers here that have switched?

Me. First month was awful and after that it was no different for me. Mattress has also lasted well.

1 Like

OK, so a period of ‘getting used to it’ and all good? Dang, saving for a holiday at the moment but… maybe…

1 Like

Yeah it just takes a bit. I got a really cheap one first then moved up to a good brand though.

2 Likes

The problem I have with foam is lack of support more than anything else. I forget the brand, but I have slept on a mattress that was more or less all memory foam and I ended up sleeping like an inverted caret.

That’s why I like Otty. The pocket springs make it nice and firm. And I’ve never felt overheated in it, so their ‘cooling gel layer’ obviously works also.

I think probably you could be happy with Otty, or Emma, or Simba, or a similar boxed mattress. It’s down to individuals what aspect of the mattress is most important to you. For me it was having as firm a mattress as possible, which is why I went for Otty. But I believe Which rate the Emma mattress highly (always with the leaflets in the Guardian) if firmness is less important.

1 Like

I prefer a firm one, and Simba was on my list but gonna check out Otty more now.

Thanks!

1 Like

Whilst comparing prices, remember a decent mattress should last you about 7-8 years, and you will spend 25% plus of your life on it. It is one of those things you shouldn’t scrimp on.

1 Like

This is true of a sprung mattress. Box mattresses of the type discussed so far in this thread, you can get a few more years out of; I’d say ten years.

Amount of use will also be a factor. If you’re someone who spends more time in bed because you watch TV or relax or work from there as well as sleep, you’re going to wear it out a little faster.

My previous mattress was a sprung mattress that was probably 20+ years old by the time I got rid of it, and it wasn’t until I did so that I realised how harmful it had been for me - turns out that I don’t actually naturally have twinges in my back and acid reflux in the morning, it was all down to that antique sagging slab of junk :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I plumped for an Emma mattress in the end and it is fab! (My back was being murdered before by a combo sprung/memory foam topped one. The springs killed the foam and I slept in a puddle in a dent in the mattress). The Emma is nice and firm and so far NO DENTS :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve now found a very similar sounding mattress on amazon called ‘Inofia’. Vacuum packed, boxed mattress 100 night trial, 10 year guarantee with 5* reviews.

Anyone heard of Inofia?

American skewed reviews but may be of use to others.

Not seeing Leesa mentioned in this thread yet…

1 Like

We had a simba on trial from JL, have previously trialled an eve from amazon. Neither worked for me, have just bought a JL rather expensive pocket sprung mattress made by Harrison Spinks. It’s like sleeping on a cloud.

Spend the money. It’s your back.

1 Like

You’re right. How was they when you returned the eve and simba? Easy to return?

Can you send a link to the JL one you’ve bought please?

I bought an Inofia as I’d just moved into a new property and didn’t have the available cash for something like Eve/Otty. I was expecting it to be substandard but I actually find it really comfortable.

We have a Tempur as well and it was ridiculously pricey compared to all these upstarts.

I do love it but next time I’d be tempted to try a few of these first and hopefully pocket the difference if they’re good enough.

I would love to get a Tempur but it’s so expensive. :cry:

Good to hear.

The reviews are actually very very good, and comparable (if not better) than Simba/Otty etc.

The one I’ve chosen is a firm mattress (needed as I’m a front sleeper) hybrid memory and spring, but I was mainly swayed by their 100 night trial and the 4.9 out of 5 star reviews.

Being delivered tomorrow so I shall see

1 Like

Me too

My brief research… I’m mostly looking at sprung+foam not foam only (cos I’m 6’1).

• Leesa Sapira £940 (after 25% off)
  • Emma £699
  • Eve £699
  • Simba £749 (0% available)
  • Casper £450