Master Sockets

Hi guys.
Moving home soon and want to know do most small,modern apartments have the master socket in the living room ? Im asking as I have some TV equipment which cannot be wireless it has to be hardwired.

Thanks

By master socket do you mean the phone/DSL socket?

cannot be wireless it has to be hardwired

If weā€™re talking networking then powerline adapter or wireless bridge will work just fine.

1 Like

I think so mate.
I mean the main socket you plug your microfilter and RJ11 router connection into.

1 Like

No idea how it is in the UK (havenā€™t dealt with DSL in ages) but back in France itā€™s very common to have a phone socket in the living room.

In any case, you can put the modem anywhere you have the master socket and then when you get Ethernet out of it you can use a power line adapter or wireless bridge to bring it wherever you want.

3 Likes

Thanks, do you lose much speed via homeplug ?

Depends which ones, they have different ratings, from AV200 (200Mbps theoretical, a bit under 100Mbps real) to AV1200 (1200Mbps theoretical, pretty close to 1000Mbps real) and how much speed the device actually needs. If itā€™s got a 100Mbps Ethernet socket then there isnā€™t much point buying a higher speed Homeplug because it wouldnā€™t be used anyway.

1 Like

Ok so say i get a 75mb sync on the router, and i use a homeplug to connect my TV box, will that also receive 75mb or will there be interference causing the speed to drop

It will be able to ā€œreceiveā€ up to 75Mbps, unless the home plug or the wiring is so bad and that it gets less.

Iā€™ve been viewing a bunch of places recently (not for me, but for my sister), and every place we saw did indeed have those sockets in the living room space.

1 Like

The original phone lines installed back in the day by BT were always placed as close to the front door as possible for cheaps. Not many people have changed them. Itā€™s actually not a big job to get an engineer in to move it.

1 Like

Used to be my job (before BT). In those days 99% of installations were from a pole, so would enter the house via the nearest (or nearly nearest) window or door frame.

If the subscriber (yep, it was that long ago) wanted the cable to run internally to another part of the house, theyā€™d have to pay extra.

TLDR; youā€™re right, it was for cheaps, but not BTā€™s cheaps.

Maybe you installed the wire from the pole to our house! It was so ancient when we moved in a few years ago, the Internet cut out whenever it rained. I could see the metal from the pavementā€¦

The engineers thought it was ā€˜originalā€™ā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

Haha. Yes, if it didnā€™t work properly, it was probably me :joy:

2 Likes

For the OP: the Ā£100 I spent on an independent telecoms engineer when we moved in is some of the best money Iā€™ve ever spent, in terms of positive impact on wellbeing, work etc.

If the plug is wrong, Iā€™d just get it changedā€¦

1 Like

That fair enough but Iā€™m renting and have no right to get things changed

Not sure, but I think the master socket is owned by BT/Openreach anyway, so may be none of the landlordā€™s business.
If you went ahead and got the work done properly to move the switch, it would be a crazy landlord who suggested it amounted to damage!

1 Like

We moved into a new build in October last year. It has just finished being built and all the master sockets are in the bedroom! Absolute nightmare!!

Iā€™ve never rented a flat with the master socket in the living room, tenements up here usually have them in halls or near a window if itā€™s overhead wiring.

My estate has them in various places, most have the optic fibre termination point under the stairs but the properties with garages tend to have the optic fibre terminating in the garage with the master socket connected there

1 Like

Small modern apartments though. Surely thereā€™s a standard for that :slight_smile:

Slightly confused by this thread. Why not find the flat you want, and then look where the socket is?

2 Likes