Marcus Bank

It’s just CYA (cover your ass) related to AML/KYC. Not sure how much it helps in practice to be honest, it’s not like they have any way of verifying the initial account you sign up with is actually your account and not someone else’s.

1 Like

It simplifies compliance and regulation and also Marcus relies on the source bank doing the credit checks and making sure your funds are legit.

1 Like

I am glad they make it difficult to change the bank account that is linked to it. That way, if someone were to get access to your Marcus account (which would be hard with their mandatory two factor authentication), then the worst they could do would be to put the money back into your current account.

I doubt and would-be cyber criminal would do actual paperwork :thinking:

9 Likes

Signed up for Marcus today, account was opened instantly. Deposit and withdrawal happened within minutes.

All in all very elegant, moved my long-term cash savings over.

7 Likes

If you switched via CASS (Full) then Marcus will automatically update your linked bank account details for you. You just need to make a withdrawal (any amount) to your old account details to start the process.

Marcus will then email you within 24 hours to let you know your linked account has been changed. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Oh, neat! Thanks :slight_smile:

They’re slow at crediting interest, I thought being the second month in operation they’d be a bit quicker.

It’s always at like 11:59 the day it should be credited. No idea why though. Perhaps when you’re dealing with £2bn+ the few hours make a difference to the business model? It does make me think of this tweet though:

4 Likes

I’ve got a Marcus account and have to say I’m a fan.

I’m curious to see whether they being their Clarity Money app over to the UK anytime soon, they acquired it in April and looks pretty slick. Very similar terrain to Yolt

https://www.ft.com/content/f8a83714-40f2-11e8-803a-295c97e6fd0b

1 Like
4 Likes

It’s a limited-access account with only two withdrawals allowed per year

3 Likes

Good to see more competition, but only 2 withdrawals per year feels a bit more fixed than easy access.

4 Likes

Ahh yes well spotted, I only skimmed through it. Hopefully it is the start of more competition from banks that we can benefit from

1 Like

Curious to know how other side users named their savings account… I went for “Umbrella fund” :umbrella: as a play on ‘rainy day fund’. Any more original names?

https://twitter.com/marcus_uk/status/1070645776970326016?s=21

1 Like

Sounds all Resident Evil.

3 Likes

Hmmm :thinking::rofl:

I thought it was really orignal but you ruined it now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Screenshot_20181206-140556__01

2 Likes

Umbrella Corp

544727-umbrellacorporation3

2 Likes

Great minds think alike :joy:

1 Like

One thing I’ve just noticed about the website when you “add it to home screen” on the iPhone, is that it doesn’t bring up an actual safari page - It almost loads it as a stand alone app.

The downside to this is you can’t refresh the page at all…

Has it always been this way?

It’s an optional thing web developers can declare. An iOS device sees this stuff in the source and acts accordingly.

Not sure which version of iOS brought this in, but it was years ago.

4 Likes