Manigo

Just saw these guys pop up on Crowdcube, the pitch sounds along the same lines at the marketplace concept we are all aware of, but with a UI that looks rather similar to that of another competitor, in my opinion :slight_smile: They claim to have “The most functional multi currency account to date”, with ‘smart’ features like

ManigoCard™ automatically uses the right currency and helps you eliminate your bank’s hidden fees and inflated exchange rates

The Manigo Wallet can only be topped up from bank accounts in your name or from your regular employer via salary payments. They do not offer a fully functional bank account with third party payments, i.e. deposits from family or friends, or refunds from utility companies.

Sounds like they wanted to call it Mango but weren’t allowed to and ended up with an awful bastardisation of it, like some other fintechs that shall go unnamed :thinking: :mondo: it’s crazy that there are so many banks of the future that you can’t even name them anymore as everything is taken!
Surprised to see that manigo (Lol) has barely raised a penny on Crowdcube. Another non-starter?

(Danny) #4

Sounds more like Mangina tbh :eyes:

(Nick) #5

The first thing I thought of was ‘Mandingo’, which isn’t great. I don’t know what they were thinking of when picking names. It’s down there with branding attempts from The Apprentice.

(Andre Borie) #6

That card and logo looks awful in my opinion.

(Simon B) #7

The first thing I thought of was the legendary street basketball player Earl “The Goat” Manigault, who had his life story made into a film starring Don Cheadle, James Earl Jones, Forest Whitaker and Clarence Williams III. It was Cheadle’s first leading role and is a great movie. Legend has it that “The Goat” could jump so high he could touch the top of the backboard.

I did NOT see that coming.

Overall, I’d say the team need some creative input for a full refresh of their presentation. Feels a bit stock photography and disjointed.

BUT fair play to people taking the leap and launching a business. Good luck, but it’s going to be a tough fight.

(Eve) #9

I thought it was “Man, I go”. Or manygo. Either way it’s a bit of a weird mouthful to say. Not very impressed with the look of it on there.

(Kevyn) #10

Looks exactly like Revolut with a darker purple branding.