Making Monzo: Cheque Imaging

(MikeF) #121

HMRC have done bank transfers for as long as I can remember for tax returns. I’ve never had a cheque from them. What are your cheques for (if you don’t mind sharing)?

1 Like

Very true Mike, but that is if you share account details with them. Part of the tax return does ask for account details but it is not compulsory- hence if a tax refund is due (hopefully) it would be done in cheque form.

0 Likes

(MikeF) #123

Ah, fair enough. In the world in my head I don’t have people who wouldn’t provide bank details!

2 Likes

DVLA is the main (almost sole!) culprit in my case - can’t believe they still don’t do bank transfer!

0 Likes

(Adam Robertson) #125

Eon paid my final bill amount in a cheque as I’d left the company.

0 Likes

(Nick) #126

I don’t do a full self-assessment, I just claim relief for a couple of work expenses and it’s never given me the option to share my bank details.

0 Likes

(Rich) #127
  1. Refunds from HRMC, DVLA, Utilitiy providers, Mortgage providers
  2. Anything from £XX to £X,XXX
  3. Never.
0 Likes

(Chris Middleton) #128

Late to the party here but…

1. Occasionally get cheques from parents - christmas, birthday, payment for stuff I have bought online for them because they are happy to risk me having my card details stolen online, but not theirs :wink:
  2. £20 to £250
  3. I wrote a cheque from my business account for a charity donation about 2 years ago.

For personal use, we do still have a Co-op joint account which has a cheque book - we also use this to pay in cheques. Mortgage and bills are paid out of this account as once in the past 20 years our salary has arrived late, and Monzo don’t offer a joint account overdraft facility. Give us cheque imaging and joint account overdrafts, we’ll move that to Monzo too.

0 Likes

(ivor Waite) #129

1 I get paid weekly by cheque. Very 20th century but that’s the way it is in this particular job
2 anything from £1 upwards
3 Never.

Cheque imaging was one of the main things that I was looking forward to with Monzo. I bank with the Co-Op and they only have 1 branch per city/town. I work all over the country so getting to a branch isn’t easy.
Cheque imaging will make life so much easier rather than the lengthy process is is now, trying to find a branch, waiting for clearing and then transferring over to my Monzo account.
Once that update arrives, then I can switch exclusively to Monzo

0 Likes

I’d be opening an account with HSBC or Barclays if I was getting 1 a week!

3 Likes

(ivor Waite) #131

I have done now. Should be up and running by next week

0 Likes

My “B Account” - Digital bank from Yorshire bank provides the facility of depositing a cheque by just clicking the front and back of the cheque using its app. Can Monzo do the same?

0 Likes

(MikeF) #133

See the thread I’ve moved your post into, above. It’s been planned for a while now.

0 Likes

(John McAllister ) #134

Normally get checks from HMRC. As so many people have been defrauded by fraudsters claiming to be from HMRC, requesting your refund by check rather than giving bank details is a safer option.

0 Likes

I haven’t written/received a cheque for probably a couple of years now.

I completed my self assessment tax return just before Christmas and I got a refund from HMRC direct to my bank. Considering that I was given the option to have the refund sent directly to my bank account and I input my banking details directly into the official UK Government Gateway under my Unique Taxpayer Reference, I wasn’t at all concerned about fraud. It therefore came as no surprise to me that just 48 hours after submitting my bank details, HMRC coughed up my refund directly into my bank account.

Cheques, many of us just don’t need them or want them these days, especially with electronic banking when a transfer can be done within seconds. I paid my plumber via bank transfer instead of cheque after my gas boiler service. The money was in his account immediately. He asked for a cheque initially and I told him I didn’t have a cheque book and I didn’t have cash in the house so left him with little choice other than to accept the bank transfer. Cheques, no thanks.

1 Like

Totally agree, I don’t want cheques but sadly some Government agencies (eg DVLA) insist on them, despite putting BACS details on invoices!

0 Likes

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #137

That’s all great, but what would the difference be if you received a cheque and simply scanned it to get the money?

0 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I think cheque imaging is brilliant, for those that use cheques. My Wife recently was given a cheque and she wasn’t exactly over the moon about it either, purely because at the time, she didn’t want the hassle of going to a bank to pay it in. We have a joint Lloyds account and she didn’t know that they are part of the cheque imaging scheme until I pointed it out and showed her how to use the facility. Clearly the system works and the cheque was cleared immediately, but to be honest, for many of us, cheques are just a total faff and an inconvenience we don’t want. Banking has moved on and even middle aged old dodderers like myself are now very much into fintech and do everything by electronic banking where possible. Cheques sadly, are in my honest opinion, an outdated form of payment that really should be put to bed.

3 Likes

(Nathan Steer) #139

That is true, they are an outdated form of payment. Unfortunately, several organisations (including government departments) still make use of cheques for returning money to people. Therefore, banks still need to provide customers with a method of paying in cheques in a reasonable fashion.

2 Likes

(Sarcasm is the finest form of wit.) #140

I literally got home last night to a cheque from BT.

Thankfully my B account has cheque imaging so I just used that. One of those ‘handy for the 1 time a year I need it’ kinda things!

0 Likes