Making Monzo: Cheque Imaging

Perhaps, but a cheque requires a name and that’s it. No fuss. Sometimes just writing a cheque to a charity, church, person or business is just simple and easy in comparison.

The technology of there to do similar things but it’s neither universal or 100% reliable, cheques on the other hand everyone can receive, anywhere.

(David I) #593

Whilst that may be the case now (and there are no active plans to discontinue use of them in the UK yet) this has been discussed as far back as 2011 (there was originally a plan to shut down the cheque clearing system in 2018). Many other countries have already stopped use of them and so I would expect that to happen in the UK too at some point.

Reference Link

(Peter Shillito) #594

Went into town at lunchtime to pay in a cheque today.

Just sayin’.

5 Likes
(Mike) #595

A colleague of mine was involved in the discussions on getting rid of cheques in the Uk and that project is well and truly on ice. Not happening soon.

Much though it would be great if cheques were phased out, the reality is that won’t happen soon.

1 Like
(James Blackwell) #596

And still monzo seem to ignore the majority and not restart the cheque imaging process.

Edit. It’s good to see that the people of monzo are keen to give replies and reasons to this. Instead they are two I g the ignore it and it will go away approach to it all as they are with questions in other threads about core banking features that people would like too see.

((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #597

I wouldn’t say theyre ignoring it. Monzo have been on a few times to explain why they came to the decision and answered peoples questions :slight_smile:

1 Like
(James Blackwell) #598

There answers don’t match they wants or needs of the customer base.

2 Likes
((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #599

I don’t think you can say that when you havent seen or have access to the data.

Remember this forum is only a tiny percentage of the 2 million customers Monzo have :slight_smile:

1 Like
(James Blackwell) #600

It should be a healthy cross section though and when so many are asking for it it should at least be put in a pipeline

2 Likes
((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #601

Again, you’re making things up to try and prove your point without anything to support it.

85 people have voted for the feature out of 2,000,000. There are even people in here that don’t mind that it isn’t available because they’ll just use a legacy bank. Obviously it would be a nice to have, and it is important for some but the stats unfortunately state otherwise.

6 Likes

I am not sure you can state that - what stats are you referring to?

85 people have voted for it making it the second most requested feature on the forum

Just because millions are not shouting for it does that suggest people dont want it but neither do it suggest they do

3 Likes
((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #603

Myself. I wouldn’t mind it for the odd cheque I get once in a blue moon but otherwise I’m not fussed. As for people feeling the same, just read this topic :wink:

Mind reader :thinking::joy::ok_hand:

That’s not the correct denominator - 85 out of [number of forum members] would be more accurate unless there was an email and vote by all Monzo customers.

3 Likes
(Rob) #605

I think that is the pot calling the kettle black!

2 Likes
(If there's the wrong end of a stick, you'll find me holding it.) #606

I don’t think the numbers are particularly relevant. As far as I know, Monzo isn’t part of the cheque clearing system, and until that happens (which may be not totally within Monzo’s control), cheque imaging can’t happen. So it wouldn’t particularly matter if everyone demanded it, it would still be some way down the road.

Maybe someone from Monzo (or someone better at searching) can confirm or refute this.

( related to Monzo CEO, Investor in Monzo ) #607
3 Likes
(Nathan) #608

It’ll probably take starling to implement this first before monzo reconsider.

2 Likes
((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #609

You can try and skew the data as much as you want to believe that this is “the most sought after feature” that “everybody is asking for” but sadly it isn’t.

You can look at the votes on here, the replies in each of the topics and then Monzos own data that they provided and they don’t even come close to the two statements that you’re trying to pass of as being true.

I think Monzo are doing a pretty good job at this thing called running/building a bank, so if they say it’s not worthwhile then it’s fair to say it isn’t.

Use a legacy bank, put them in the post or just ask for an alternative payment method. They are your options since cheque imaging is on hold. There is no point throwing your toys out of the pram week after week and going round in circles.

(Rob) #610

You are replying to the wrong person. All I did was point out that YOU were manipulating data to support YOUR argument whilst criticising someone for doing the same thing. That made your post hypocritical.

4 Likes
((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #611

My apologies for replying to the wrong person. Not sure what you’re talking about with the last bit but either way, it doesn’t change anything :slight_smile: