Monzo Current Account Counter

that was a great bank in it’s time, shame it was taken over and shut down.

I can’t remember exactly but they removed the logo from the cards from maybe 2010.

Edit: I was a year out :slightly_smiling_face:

Back in the day the infrastructure for that basically didn’t exist. Most tills and shops didn’t have any online systems.

Paying by card was done using an imprint machine, which was way harder than simply writing a cheque (it was basically a cheque where the details were partially filled in by running a heavy object over the debit card and a layer of ink).

The cheque guarantee card meant that the store was not out of pocket if you didn’t have the money. The moment that went away, cheques essentially died in the high street.

1 Like

I am pretty sure they were online as the alternative was swiping your card and signing the till receipt. But the concept of using chip and pin came later and killed of both to a high degree.

Cheque guarantee was killed completely. And swipe/sign is now the fallback.

And, of course, a cheque didn’t require you to actually have the money in your account at the time, so you could buy things with a cheque (and guarantee card) a few days before you got paid… :grinning:

1 Like

In opening that account it would have involved effort and commitment. Possibly visiting a branch or getting a bank officer to certify photocopies. Paperwork to be signed and returned. Income and expenditure to be revealed. Compare that to Monzo: I download an app, dig out my driving licence and in a couple of days a debit card pops through the door. No commitment and very little effort. The real measure will be funds under management - how many accounts are sitting empty or nearly empty?

with a £250 guarantee card limit it was a bit like having a £250 overdraft in the day or two before payday :wink:

1 Like

We tend to get huge growth spikes with every feature release, and we have a few large new features coming. There’s still a lot of low hanging fruit for us to grab (no pun intended :wink: )

Ultimately we think that some of these things will be revolutionary (things you’ve never done with your primary bank before, like making Monzo your financial control centre), and some of them will be evolutionary (the same thing, but just done way better, like our P2P system - there is clearly nothing new about sending money to a friend, but we removed a lot of the friction).

Basically - there’s a lot wrong with banking that we aim to fix, with the overall aim of making you feel like you’re in control. Which, for so many people, is a new and amazing feeling. That’s what leads to such positive word of mouth, and we already get that based upon being just a fraction of where we want to be and having done a small amount of the things we want to do.

Things like TV adverts, switching bonuses don’t really feel in line with what we do. Obviously, if we felt we were struggling with growth we’d re-evaluate, but as of right now, that’s not the position we’re in.

15 Likes

Zurich Bank only had one branch (more of an office) on Sackville Street in London, and I certainly didn’t have to visit it to open an account. There was no certification of photocopies necessary (I’ve never had to do this in over 25 years of banking).

And with the advent of near-universal Credit Referencing, Monzo already knows your income when you apply.

1 Like

It’s great to have the roadmap for some of the big new features that might take a while, but would it be possible to have a thread on here showing what the NEXT feature will be, however small?

1 Like

I think that’s the idea of the monthly feature update blog posts.

2 Likes

:apple: pay :smiley:

While you may not have had to do that with Zürich Bank, many banks require certification by a bank staff member and certain post offices provide a certification service for photocopies of documents

1 Like

I meant even more granular than That, but nothing that would need preparing - just a sentence like “CASS by the 19th” or “Pot overhaul next Tuesday”

Oh @simonb please stop with the trolling unless you have a date for picking this low hanging fruit :laughing:

4 Likes

Apple Pay next release!!

3 Likes

I was gonna call troll but do not feed the trolls

4 Likes

We already share pretty much everything we know, unless there are specific reasons why we aren’t able to.

It’s not always as simple as “thing X is definitely the main feature of the next update”. Sometimes it is, but some thing work on staggered rollouts so we can’t promise that everyone will have access to something at the same time.

I can say that the next big thing on Android is the Pulse Graph, for example, as that’s something that will be available to all Android users in the next major update. Not every feature update works that way though!

2 Likes

Has it been fed in that the pulse graph presents incorrect data if there are more than 2 transactions in a day?

Thanks Simon. Did someone say that was a week or two?