Life@Monzo

Sadness.

2 Likes

We used to publish our progression frameworks on the website

https://monzo.com/documents/engineering-progression-framework-v2-0.pdf for engineers :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Please consider this my official application…

15 Likes

You’re hired :sunglasses::joy:

3 Likes

+1 for @Revels

5 Likes

Do you enjoy working at Monzo @Carlo1460. What’s the culture like?

I moved this here as it’s more appropriate :relaxed:

I like it, loads of smart, and friendly people.

The culture is good, lots of change, very fast paced at times.

My role itself, I probably need to push myself to go further but I’m just waiting for the right opportunity, and there’s generally a lot of opportunity to explore.

I did 2 years financial health at MBNA for vulnerable prior joining monzo.

I’m not sure I’d leave finhealth fully, as collections/recoveries I enjoy for the most part, but finding somewhere to progress within this, that isn’t a sidestep, is what would be important.

6 Likes

That’s a good insight. An environment that is always changing and is fast paced makes it harder to get bored. Plus. If every day is actually a different day it keeps you enjoying it.

1 Like

I’d also probably aim toward a role with more interaction with other colleagues, there’s plenty going on to get involved in to discuss, but working from home you don’t get much of that personal face to face/voice to voice interaction, when coming from a call centre previously, it’s a very different environment.

Where that leads me in terms of progression I’m not too sure :joy:

1 Like

Do you have remote meetings and stuff often? Do you get the choice to work from the office

We do have meetings, depending whats happening across the team.

I’m distributed, so fully remote as with majority of the workforce so we don’t have the opportunity to visit the office.

I live a dream they’d open an office in Newcastle :pray::joy:

3 Likes

So do Monzo only have one office?

Do you think there are challenges to wellbeing working for a company that you will never be in the physical presence of?

Monzo have London and Cardiff, both hosting different areas of the business.

As for any role really, wellbeing can be handled in many ways, it also depends on you as a person and how you manage being remote or spending the majority of your day in the house.

I do miss the office vibe, even if it was infrequent through COVID.

3 Likes

I would miss the commute to be honest

4 Likes

Ooo, an interrogation! I wanna play.

What does your role actually entail @Carlo1460?

3 Likes

Most definitely not a commute kinda guy :joy:

I deal with chats from customers who are facing financial difficulties, driving open, supportive and constructive conversations to understand their circumstances, what’s impacting them, how they’re managing and using this information to help guide us as COps to the most appropriate solution.

It can be a very busy day sometimes, others not so, there’s little pattern or prediction in most instances.

7 Likes

I bet your feeling the pressure since the cost of living has snot up along with food costs and energy bills

I think everyone is to be fair. It’s rough old times for us all.

3 Likes

Be interested to know about a typical workday - what hours you work, breaks etc, do you have to work to strict call targets? what was the interview process etc etc?

We don’t have set breaks other than an hours lunch, which is good, as we are trusted to take reasonable breaks throughout the day otherwise.

The majority don’t do calls (as far as I know), being a digital bank, we predominantly deal over chat. There are phone lines and people always there to answer the calls though.

There’s also a callback process if it’s easier for customers to communicate this way, or a bigger sense of urgency possibly. I’ve not done any calls since I started.

Interviews were very informal, more like a conversation. Involved competency based questions in the first round, and then values based in the second round. Both 45 minutes each side, with a short break in between to gather your thoughts.

No mind drilling questions, probably one of the better interviews I’ve had over the years. Structured, but not in the corporate sense you’d imagine.

6 Likes