Launching Pots

Not a huge feature request, but I’m using pots a lot (great!)… But my Home screen is becoming heavily cluttered with items (especially as I move and spend money on Christmas presents).

Would it be possible to include a setting to hide these entries? I understand permanently removing them probably isn’t a good idea (i.e. the occasional dumb moment where I wonder where my money has gone), but perhaps they could collapse into one ‘pots’ entry per day?

5 Likes

As money pots are aimed at savings money it would be a good idea to have the ability to use standing orders to out money aside each month into your money pots don’t you think ?

2 Likes

Following from this, can I ask; What way will pots and these transactions be shown on statements when they are released as a feature? And will a number of different virtual pots and all their relevant transactions cluttering the statement, affect future financial opportunities like mortgage applications?

I get your point of clutter, but why would they affect future financial opportunities.

Just like buying KFC every day on your statement won’t affect your credit rating etc… I think there should be the solution to filter Pots transaction but they will not have any impact on your future credit.

KFC everyday would surely lower - if only fractionally - your affordability checks at point of applying for a mortgage. The less you regularly spend, the less likely you are to default on the mortgage.

I get that pots are the opposite and actually show that you are putting money away and planning for costs, just wonderimg if banks could look at it suspiciously. Probably not.

This has probably been mentioned but I would love the option to link each of my Direct Debits to a specific Pot. That way, when I get paid I can transfer the correct amount into each Pot and then I know exactly how much money I have left for the remaining month and I would not have to worry about transferring the money back out of the Pot before the DD is taken.

It might have other undesirable effects too!

4 Likes

Why I dont use pots -->

Pots has been one of the features I have been most looking forward too since Monzo was Mondo so thought I would share some feedback about why I am not actually using them now that they are out.

Conceptually, pots are actually how I manage my financial life - regular contributions to segregated money pots for different reasons which I then draw down from - in the time since the feature was discussed however I have actually come up with a solution using a legacy bank and actually that is a better financial solution than Monzo pots (currently) are.

What I do:

• Joint 123 account at Santander with my wife - interest earning and cashback on bills including mortgage
  • Standing orders from both of us after we are paid with separate transactions for holiday, mortgage, house savings, bills, rainy day saving etc
  • Direct debits or withdrawals from the account
  • A google sheets ‘ledger’ that automatically classifies payins/regular withdrawals too/from the right pot
    Obviously a bit of hassle here from classification of payouts in the google sheets but 95% automatically classify by fomula and I can easily see what balance i have in each ‘pot’

What would make me switch to using Monzo for pots

• Ability to open the pot at an interest earning destination (interest is non negligible once running entire household spending/future bills through it)
  • Ability to schedule payin vs salary date
  • Joint access pots

I think one interesting concept would be how could Monzo help me manage my ‘pots’ even if Monzo is not the destination of the pot e.g. understand how much money left over from salary, help to understand forward planning on expenses etc etc

10 Likes

I agree James,

I would like to see pots attracting interest. There are things that I only need to pay out once a year- such as car tax and insurance. I would like to be able to put them into a pot and earn some sort of interest.

Longer term things like saving for a car or dream holiday- lock it into a pot for 5 years and attract a better rate of interest.

4 Likes

The upcoming features for Pots sound AWESOME. Automatic rules. Direct Debit pots. Shared pots with other users. Just what I need and will have so many uses for :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This would be a big win for me and would get my vote.

1 Like

Just as long as you vote for these things in the poll at the very top of this thread…

I think pots are a fantastic way to save, but could we see a future enhancement where we could create hierarchically pots, so for instance say you were saving for multiple holidays you would start with your main pot as Holidays, and then be able to create sub section pots within that, Spain Feb 18, Italy June 18, USA Sept 18, or Classic Car Restoration, then sub pots of Engine Parts, Body Work, New Tyres and so on. This would make it so much easier than scrolling left through god knows how many pots you may have created. Also, will we be able to choose our own photo for the pot from your phone in the future?

4 Likes

“upcoming”…its been moved to medium term now 6-12 months… :’(:sweat:

This is not a new thing by all means, as other banks and building societies have done this but, one thing id really like with the savings pots is the ability to “save the change”.

So when each transaction goes through (Example £4.50 at Starbucks - if you can influence the cost of coffee that would be amazing) the change (50p) automatically transfers into a selected pot.

Maybe even multiple pots with a set percentage, for example 25% into your rainy day fund, 50% into the holiday fund and 25% into car fund to the nearest penny.

2 Likes

I like. I cannot believe I have found a ,22nd Century banker. Good stuff ,:):sunglasses:

1 Like

So not sure if its on the road map but it would be an amazing feature if when setting up pots for example (lets be festive) if i have a christmas pot i want to spend from on the app selecting that as the “default” funds so payments come from that pot.

This would prevent moving of money back and forward. You could even have a setting that has it as the default for x amout of hours. If you have a night out pot and select it at the beginning of the night select 8 hours and when you use your card in the morning it would be back to the default account.

2 Likes

I’ve just been watching the latest Monzo Insider video & @valerio mentions something cool - the team got the idea for Pots from the community, which (AFAIK) makes this the 1st major feature that we’ve come up with & Monzo’s built :tada: :tada: :tada:

I’ve had a look & I can’t find the exact topic that he’s referring to but this one :point_down: suggests that the idea was mentioned in around April 2016

& could have actually been the source of the idea, since no earlier posts that mention pockets cover the idea. In which case, shout out to @KWells1979

6 Likes

Considering how easy it is to delete pots is this not potentially a risk?

Though I suppose if a direct debit is linked to a pot then you should get a message such as “you have direct debits linked to this pot are you sure you want to delete it?”

3 Likes

Yeah extremely valid point and I would hope that as soon as a DD is linked to a Pot, that Pot is then locked until the DD is either moved or deleted.

2 Likes