Does Monzo offer a joint account?

“Somewhere in 2018” is too loose. Even a Q1, 2, 3, 4 ETA would suffice.

1 Like

Well, presume it’s Q4 and you might be surprised earlier?

9 Likes

Unless starling do it early, then I reckon we’ll see it much quicker.

1 Like

One of the reasons my wife and I opened a traditional joint account, shortly after we got married, was because someone gave us a cheque as a wedding gift which was payable to both of us. The only way we could deposit the cheque was to open a joint account in both our names.

Although cheques are gradually dying off, I very much hope that Monzo’s eventual joint account offering will allow proper joint accounts to which we both have equal access, and which would cater for the above scenario.

2 Likes

We do things the same way as lots of people ITT - everything is shared so there’s no ‘mine’ and ‘yours’ money. Sadly we won’t be switching until there are joint accounts, although we’ll try make it work until then. Even just having multiple cards would be a start!

1 Like

@naji @samw @tom any chance of an update on this please? Huge thread with little Monzo interaction. Would be lovely to get an update and hear, at least, you’re working on it :slight_smile: :+1:

I’m personally not aware of anything to share on this and Simon is away on holiday but hopefully if there is anything to add Naji will be able to sort it out :slight_smile:

Joint accounts are not yet being actively worked on but every new feature and system is being designed from the start to support this and we’re certainly thinking about it. True joint accounts have a lot of special rules and considerations that we would have to follow. I couldn’t put a timeline on it at this stage. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks @RichardR … I have to say, am a little surprised that it’s not closer on the roadmap. Surely, if you’re going to attract a large amount of people, you need to appeal to families. Joint accounts, I’d argue, is essential for this. How have things like pots been seen as more important?

7 Likes

Are joint accounts on the radar at all?

I wouldn’t be able to consider the Monzo account my main account until this is a thing as my wife needs equal access to the funds in it.

I’ve moved your question to the current Joint Account thread where the answer is a couple of posts above yours.

Until it’s a joint account, my Monzo acc will never be anything more than my snacks and coffee money pot.

3 Likes

I would like to see a Monzo Pot card- something that you could share with a partner but keep separate from my own account.

I gotta say, having thought about this overnight, that I’m absolutely amazed that this isn’t being given priority. The thread is huge and full of many saying they won’t consider Monzo as a main account until something is sorted here.

How on earth @samw @Naji @tom has this fallen off the radar? It was on the road map on Trello but seems to have vanished.

Gobsmacked doesn’t begin to tell the story of my reaction.

3 Likes

Another vote here for joint accounts.

2 Likes

@Elvis

In many ways Pots is laying the foundations for the work we will need to do to make shared accounts happen. From my understanding, Pots was a good focus for us at this time as it is essentially an abstraction on top of your current account rather than a separate account. This provides us with the foundations to explore alternative ways to save/spend/split money with other Monzo customers. The first version of a shared account may be based on this blueprint, with the ability to link a Pot to two separate Monzo accounts. @RobinM can probably expand on this and tell me if I’ve got this completely wrong! Basically, Pots is a step towards having linked or joint accounts.

7 Likes

That’s a really helpful reply, thanks Naji :sunglasses:

@naji - thanks so much for the reply. Really helpful.

So my household now:
One account where both sets of pay go with separate savings accounts. All bills go from one place. Easy. We have sight of all our finances in one place.

What you are proposing (correct me if I’m wrong):
Two accounts where pay goes seperately and this is then sent to pots to pay bills. We can only see what money is in pots and not in each other’s accounts. Not simple.

I can see why you like pots. It might suit some. But it surely shouldn’t have been at the expense of choice of a full joint account?

Can you guys not see you’re trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist?

I’m not too bothered about the join account features, however, what does really interest me is shared pots. I would however be interested to know if this would then make the people sharing the pot financially linked?

I know if I was to open a joint current account with my partner, her credit score would affect mine as we would be linked financially. I am hoping that a shared pot means we would not be linked in the credit agencies eyes.

I’m desperately waiting for joint accounts or at least a way of linking multiple apps and having more than one card.

This could make it my main account.