Does Monzo offer a joint account?

This is a popular idea & it sounds like the team are keen to build this feature, after the current accounts launch.

I’ve moved your post here to keep all of the discussion in one place, I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

Sam has shared some food for thought here -

it would be great to hear your thoughts on how Monzo could answer those questions :bulb:

Here are some more ideas for this feature from @jshrager .

1 Like

We use the joint account for household expenses, car maintenance, insurance etc… We also have a packaged account to cover things like travel insurance, joint phone insurance, breakdown cover…

I appreciated the Gov hasn’t taken a shining to packaged accounts but for a family of 5 its much cheaper than paying for the policies separately!

Are there any plans to partnership with thus companies / incentives to buy through Monzo Marketplace?

2 Likes

Nothing concrete’s been confirmed yet but it sounds like that’s exactly what the maketplace is for :smiley:

I’ve seen that since posting which looks good, I just hope the incentives / offers are worth it, many competitors in this market such as topcashback / quidco with the need to compete with packaged accounts too.

The good thing about the marketplace is that Monzo doesn’t have to compete based on these services. It simply gives users easy access to almost every service, from almost every provider (eventually) & the user can pick the best option for them :heart_eyes:

For myself and wife a joint account eventually is a must, we are both pensioners and our state pension gets paid to the both of us on the day of the month.I have two small private pensions I could move to a Monzo current with no trouble but in the long run "if it`s a long run"I need that joint account to finally throw off the stifling embrace of HSBC.

6 Likes

I believe there is a need for quite a lot people to manage some finances jointly and the traditional joint account may not be the right way.
A virtual account connecting 2 current accounts will allow better management and share finances.

2 Likes

A good idea but for me i want just one current account that accessible by my wife and myself with a finger print.

1 Like

Will was asked about joint accounts at the current account launch last night - his response made me think it will be a very long time before they are here. Not even on the roadmap.

2 Likes

That makes sense to me. Shared - Pots will cover a lot of use cases for joint accounts & the legal benefits are only need by a subset of Monzo users. I guess they’ll have to carry on using a legacy bank’s account, to manage at least some of their money, for a while yet..

1 Like

That will be a great pity, a very long time is not a reality for me at my age.

2 Likes

Is there any legal reason that a joint loan/mortgage/product direct debit has to be debited from a joint account? Or what about a sole DDs on another persons account?

So I currently manage all the finances for me and the better half (must have done something wrong in a previous life) and that includes my sole bills, my other half’s bills and our joint bills.

Is there anything stopping me having all of these debiting my account or are we saying my other half can make her sole bills ‘virtually’ debit a joint pot so I can still view/manage them all as a whole?

How do we maintain the balance of the joint pot for payments to be made from?

1 Like

I would love to see a joint account. The main reason I use Monzo is to budget, and there’s only one thing more challenging than sticking to budget: sticking to budget with your other half. Unless we look at our joint account each doesn’t know day by day what the other’s spent.
Either a joint account or even just a synched app with separate accounts would be invaluable. If I could only pick one change to Monzo it would be this - even above current accounts.

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts Georgina and its the one thing for me that would be the icing on the cake.As pensioners and long time customers go HSBC I cant wait to switch to a joint current account out of their clutches.

1 Like

We have separate individual accounts and a joint account. We use the Barclays app with our joint account and transfer a fixed amount to the joint account every month to budget, I have to say it’s pretty effective…but not as good a monzo’s app could be if joint accounts were available. We budget together, so don’t really have individual targets. Which makes using the monzo app for budgeting a real pain. It’s basically impossible for it to be accurate. If they supported some version of a joint account then we would move all our spending over, but until then it’s only really a pretty app that doesn’t help me much. I’m sure they will solve this eventually though!

2 Likes

Come to think of it, I wonder if we could have separate Monzo cards.
Both pulling from our joint account.
Put a fixed amount in the joint account each month.
Set our own targets.
There would still be a joint ‘limit’ but enforced by the amount in the joint account to add to Monzo from.
And we would have a view of our individual spending that would be easier to compare.

2 Likes

That sounds good to me. But there are some potential challenges there for freezing the cards, reconciling transfers into the account, closing the account etc.

Here’s my best guess (which could be completely wrong, of course) on how the feature will work:

Each user will have their own account & card.

They’ll be able to link their accounts & create a shared Target / Pot.

Whenever the user’s make transactions, those transactions are synced into both user’s apps in a dedicated feed for the Target / Pot & deducted from the Target / Pot’s shared balance.

That way, users will still have independent control over their Targets, any integrations & can receive credits separately.

Monzo would also be able to utilise this functionality for similar common use cases, such as flat mates sharing the cost of bills or travellers sharing the cost of a holiday..

But you still get all of the benefits of a joint account (aside from the legal status)..unless I’ve overlooked any. I’d be interested to hear whether that would work for you?

3 Likes

I was wondering if I’d ever posted this. I did. Reason 2 isn’t addressed by shared pots, so even if reason 1 is discounted it’s still a potential issue.

1 Like

Unless Monzo is flexible enough to enable you to deposit a cheque that’s made out to two people. Presumably they’d have to be, if they won’t offer conventional joint accounts.

For reason 1, Sam’s acknowledged the need for joint access for -