Joint account users spending authorisation

Hi, can this be implemented?
For example - my partner want to spend from our joint Account, I want to be able to approve the spending from my app before she could. Is that possible?

I think if you want this level of control joint account is not for you.

22 Likes

hi @Ogunbameru this isnā€™t possible with Monzo, I donā€™t know of any UK banks that would allow you to control someone elseā€™s spending like this. Ethically questionable at best.

12 Likes

This is a repugnant concept.

19 Likes

Can you imagine waiting in a store for authorisation, not just from your bank, but from your partner?

5 Likes

Ideas like this highlight the need of an unlike button. :-1:

5 Likes

If you have a joint account than you are both legally entitled to access the money in that account (in accordance with the terms and conditions you signed up to).

As a result (and as a non lawyer/legal person), Iā€™d question whether this sort of control would even be legal, before we get anywhere near to questioning the morality of it.

9 Likes

Everyone vilified this idea so quickly, jeez. Yes itā€™s possible, but not with Monzo(?). Itā€™s just a both-to-sign account where both parties have to sign off on spending, so the reverse logic works where you cannot spend without your partnerā€™s approval. Before you hit me with ethics/legality, consider if one of you has a spending issue, or you are going through a divorce. These accounts have a purpose.

If you do actually mean a secondary person, so they can spend but only with your permission, essentially thatā€™s a single account where you give your permission away. But donā€™t go there. Just give them the money as a transfer and avoid a joint account.

1 Like

I have no problem with dual signature accounts. They do exist.

Finding one, however, that isnt meant for a charity or trust is going to be a problem, before you begin to battle with the fact that there will be no debit cards, no internet banking, probably no direct debits (when setting up these you usually have to state you are authorised to do so on the account, which you obviously cannot when two or more parties must authorise) and youā€™ll essentially be using jointlyā€“signed cheques in the main.

This type of account would be no more use in a divorce than a regular joint account because one person could simply block the other.

Dual signature accounts imply that both parties equally authorise the other. But that is not what was asked for.

Like I said, the idea of one person ā€œapprovingā€ (read controlling) a womanā€™s spending is abhorrent.

5 Likes

Better than one person bankrupting the other by withdrawing all the funds and overdraft then running. Legally, if you are meant to jointly shoulder the debt and if they are hiding abroadā€¦

Judging a bit early, given the one line of facts? It may be doubtful, but they both might agree about and want things to work like that? Of course the better option is then to have a dialogue, but thatā€™s not very techy. How people determine fair between them isnā€™t for me to say. And there is a small possibility in another scenario the man is being controlled - I hope you still find that abhorrent.

1 Like

Agreed they exist, that wasnā€™t what was asked though.

In the context of a Monzo joint account specifically, which is where the question was asked, the Ts and Cs (I believe) define the relationship between the two parties, then my answer stands.

1 Like

Iā€™m judging the facts as they were presented. Iā€™m not judging anyone and Iā€™m not making any assumptions of the people involved in the question. Iā€™ve been very clear in stating my opinion is of the concepts of the original question, not the questioner. Of course Iā€™d find anyoneā€™s finances being controlled by another disgusting, where the person has the mental capacity to make their own, proper, safe decisions.

Yes Iā€™ve used deliberate, strong language. Thatā€™s because the idea of economic freedom is a supporting tenet of universal human rights; the right to freedom of expression and thought, and the right to a private life. The concept of controlling anotherā€™s finances is big stuff.

3 Likes

Can you explain a bit more about why you would like this and how you would expect it to work?

Itā€™s probably not something we would consider exploring in the context of a joint account. Or maybe any, even GoHenry doesnā€™t do that I think.

5 Likes

I donā€™t actually think thatā€™s better. Itā€™s as controlling as running off with all the money.

1 Like

Some ideas deserve to be vilified.

1 Like

I donā€™t have a joint account but I imagine if I did it might have quite a lot of money in it. Being able to sign off on purchases over a certain amount might be a good security concept?

The payments systems require the auth fairly instantaneously though as has been discussed elsewhere so it might have to work more likeā€Iā€™m about to withdraw Ā£x from a merchant is this OK?ā€

Might also be useful for joint pots where someone could be buying something expensive in a flat share and need sign off for access to the money?

I think requiring authorisation from the other party/parties on a joint account for purchases over a certain amount isnā€™t a terrible idea as long as the authorisation works both ways.

(That was the point)

However, if you live in England or Wales you may be able to argue you were subject to undue influence or misled and are therefore not liable. In Scotland, you wonā€™t be so lucky: the guarantor is liable no matter what the circumstances. And wherever you are in the UK, ignorance is no defence: if things have got that serious, you should contact Citizens Advice or seek legal advice.

Or just my partner took all my money - Google Search

1 Like

You said blocking funds was ā€˜betterā€™:

Blocking funds is not better. Itā€™s as controlling as running away with the money. Theyā€™re both as bad as each other.

Anyway, weā€™re drifting.

2 Likes