Joint account notifications only for my own card

Any visibility of this at Monzo?

This is still a reason to look at other banks for me – instant notifications of transactions I’m responsible for is important. I don’t want the ones that my wife initiated. The more customisation of how I’m notified for different transactions the better.

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like

This intrigues me. Surely the entire point of a Joint Account is just that, it’s run by two people and both have the same visibility of every transaction. I get it could be annoying to see notifications for transactions you didn’t initiate, but I guess that goes back to why have a Joint account in the first place?

(I have a Joint Account, and my own Account, as does my partner).

2 Likes

Not sure why someone wouldn’t want to know when their own money is being spent, regardless of the account type.

If my wife does a food shop in the week, it’s still my money being spent. If we are buying personal items we use our solo account.

4 Likes

I too was confused by this so I asked and was given the below explanation:

It’s for people who solely use their joint account, so pool all their money into it and spend from there. Literally everything comes from the joint account whether a joint expense or a personal one. In this situation people don’t want to see notifications when their wife gets a coffee each morning and such.

On the flip side I’d argue that if they don’t want to see non-joint expenses then they need to start using their personal account. Do like I do and the two posts above me suggested. Use your joint account for joint expenses only by each transferring a fixed amount in per month and the use your personal ones for everything else.

3 Likes

From the OP.

Perhaps it’s more a personal thing then, as I am sure my partner does not think I’m spying on them, nor them on me. Trust, eh?

I love seeing what my partner is buying! :rofl:

On a serious note, it’s been useful a couple of times, for example if his phone runs out of battery, but I know when he’ll be home because he bought a snack at the train station.

I’ve also busted him for having after work beers a couple of times :rofl:

2 Likes

:point_up: this - we also enter notes against each others transactions with hilarious (sometimes confrontational) results… :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve never thought of this issue as generally we only use our Joint Monzo for shared incidentals.

But i can completely get why you’d want to turn them off - it might be joint money so the argument of see where it goes is valid, but you can still do that in app and on statement if you wish.

I could see why wouldn’t want the immediacy of each and every notification for activity that isn’t “yours”

1 Like

To slightly expand on this topic, I recently received a notification while my wife was out with the kids about card needing PIN re-verification. This is not a notification I ever need, would love to be able to turn these off.

2 Likes

Slightly different question: is it possible to turn off ALL notifications from the joint account (including ones I initiated), so i only get notifications from my solo account?

Nope :disappointed: