JAJA Discussion

Interesting.

Low maximum limit and no 0% offer but interesting.

Where did you see this?

Someone from Jaja got in touch with me a couple of days ago and invited me to pop by their offices for some lunch and to see a demo of the app. Given I live at the other end of the country we had a video call instead :grinning:

It was really good, ended up chatting for about an hour with two of the guys at Jaja. Saw a demo of the app and saw the actual physical card, which looks really nice. The app itself is very clean, nice transaction feed with good looking category icons, though I believe merchant icons can/will be displayed.

The credit sharing facility sounds really useful. They asked me a number of questions and seemed to really value the feedback. Hopefully going to get my invite to the app next week in the first batch of users - they’re going to onboard a small batch from the top of the waitlist then bring more people on each week until the public launch at the end of of March.

It’s very much a beta phase before the wider launch so it’s an opportunity for the early adopters to help shape the product and iron out any remaining bugs. Really sounds like they’ve given a lot of thought to the launch and I would expect it to be a pretty polished product by the time it’s launched to the general public.

I’m hopefully going to be involved in a few more discussions with them, possibly a face to face meeting at their offices too. Overall I got a really good impression of them as a team/company and think they’ll be really receptive to feedback, criticism, ideas, etc. They’ll also be launching their own online community :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Is there any indication on how conservative they might be offering credit? Will there be a soft-check eligibility first?

I’m still interested to know if there are any benefits included with the card. Is there any Cashback etc.?

Doesn’t seem like it. It seems more geared towards 0% on purchases type of credit cards.

Ah that’s a shame, well for me!

Well those type of cards have their use as well. But I still have not found a combination that beats AMEX 1.25% cashback with Barclaycard VISA 0.5% cashback to back it up. I have a Virgin credit card that offered me 0% on purchases for 30 months, and I am close to repaying all of the credit limit. So JAJA would be a good alternative to Virgin, but I only get such cards once in 2-3 years for any planned bulk purchases.

1 Like

Yeah agreed, was looking at getting an Amex Cashback card but was interested to see what this would offer first. But it would replace my HSBC 0% CC nicely

I believe they do a soft check to ascertain the credit limit they can offer to a customer.

2 Likes

Great.

This should be industry standard on credit, really. If everyone could see beforehand what they were eligible for for any credit it would make sense.

1 Like

I too had a call earlier this evening.
I definitely agree with the points you’ve mentioned here and looking forward to seeing the product evolve.
I did mention about the community aspect being important and this is what I love about Monzo, so seeing this at Jaja would definitely be welcome.

1 Like

I was asked to speak to them (I’m 8th) but I haven’t the time right now and I can’t have a hard check right now either as I’m in the middle of a house purchase. Good to hear that it may be a soft check.

2 Likes

It would be great to get this confirmed by JAJA

393 in the que so hoping to be an early tester :tada:

Jaja told me it’s soft check at application too. I presume a hard search would be recorded if successful as CRA’s will get their pants in a twist if no hard search is done.

The way the industry should be though, with a hard search only recorded at approval IMO. Who cares if you’ve applied to 70 different cards, it’s the accounts actually opened that are an indicator of fraud and/or distress, not a couple of searches.

I think companies are taking a more lenient view on searches these days. I’ve had two of my card limits raised to £4k and £2.5k respectively with 27 searches on Experian in the last year. Only 6 on Equifax but I’m sure Experian were checked.

LBG gave me my overdraft with over 30 hard searches.

Definitely wouldn’t even risk applying if a mortgage app is underway though!

3 Likes

We should see some movement on the invites next week hopefully.

4 Likes

Is the iOS app out yet?

The app won’t hit the Play/App Stores until the end of March. Those on the waitlist will receive instructions on how to get the app before then.

Anybody given access yet?