🇮🇹 Monzo in Italy [Wiki]

This is a wiki crowdsourced by the Monzo Community to help you travel with Monzo.

Just like Wikipedia, anyone can edit it to help out others. If you have any tips or feedback for visiting Italy with Monzo, please feel free to edit this guide. You can also add a comment or question below — someone will then incorporate your comment into the main text below and then delete your comment. To create your own “Monzo in …” guide if one doesn’t already exist, just copy this template into a new post and write away!

Safe travels! :wave: :airplane:

Currency

Italy uses the €.

Monzo users pay the MasterCard exchange rate with no added fees.

Card usage

Cash is king in small villages and smaller establishments where many outlets don’t accept cards at all and others accept cash only for low spends. Cards are more likely to be taken in larger establishments in larger cities.

Monzo works all over the country with few issues. Bars, restaurants, taxis, ATMs. All worked perfectly.

Don’t be surprised if card readers may not ask for PIN to verify your identity and instead ask for a signature-based verification.

The only thing I will say is not every place seemed to work with contactless. That said it wasn’t limited to my Monzo card - my other debit card didn’t seem to register so I wouldn’t say it’s anything to worry about! Otherwise it was smooth and lovely :slight_smile:

ATMs

ATMs that support MasterCard will support Monzo cards, with very few charging to withdraw cash. So far all ATMs seem to be chip and PIN, magstripe not required.

Euronet ATMs charge €2.5 for withdrawal.

Payment and withdrawal limits

All Monzo cards have some payment and withdrawal limits. To check yours before you leave, tap “Account” under the picture of your card and then “Spending and card limits”.

Crowdsourced merchant data

The Monzo merchant data is often incorrect (eg. the map shows the wrong location or the name of the place is not correct). Please submit improvements to this data so it can get better for future visitors.

Miscellaneous

To edit this guide, just tap the pencil icon below. Alternatively, add a reply with your comments and someone from the community will incorporate your suggestions into the guide and then delete your comment.

8 Likes

The ticket machine for the tram from Florence airport doesn’t accept contactless, but PIN works.