Is this legal?

We know you dislike it. You complained about it on 21 January and now you are raising it again. That is not going to change things.

7 Likes

Oh the irony… :flushed:

10 Likes

Coutts & Co. discriminate against me because I don’t have high enough financial net worth. Doesn’t mean they’re acting illegally. I do have Photo ID, though, in case they change their mind :laughing:

5 Likes

If they said they want photo ID only for those over 60 but not under 60, or require photo ID for blacks but not whites, that is discriminating. Requiring it for all applicants regardless of age or race etc is treating them equally.

5 Likes

I’ll have a word. I know the Chairman - see him regularly in Blockbuster Video. :grinning:

4 Likes

If you search you can see discussion around this already.

1 Like

No, because there is a financial requirement on demanding that an applicant either hold a passport or driving licence, isn’t there?!

Stomping your feet and repeatedly screaming discrimination doesn’t mean that there is discrimination. There is nothing stopping your 94 year old Mum or someone who is transgender getting a passport or driving license. Except cost, but that’s economics not discrimination

8 Likes

Sorry, not clear on what you are saying is a requirement by law?

Not ‘discriminating’ on photo ID, basic banks accounts or something else?

1 Like

So what? It also costs money to have a smartphone, money to have a broadband connection or pay for phone data, money to get a bus to a bank branch or a stamp to post an application form.

There are many ways you can argue that money makes thinks harder for people but that is just unfortunate and not grounds to scrap rules on ID.

Time to stop trolling the community before this tread gets locked…where is Alex when you need him. Ha ha

16 Likes

Yeah, never thought I’d be thinking that :wink:

7 Likes

It’s already been flagged and monitored

2 Likes

It’s Sunday (the supposed day of rest) and also Mother’s Day and a certain person has decided to start a war about Legality? Really?

I’m beginning to think “Troll of The Year Awards” are about to take place?

3 Likes

The whole thread is screenshot and the transgender community is in the process of discussing whether Tom Blomfield, Jonas Huckestein, Jason Bates, Paul Rippon and Gary Dolman are fit and proper persons to hold a banking licence.

Is it possible to block or at least press the mute button on this one?

3 Likes

EndoftheQ and hope they stay there…:grinning:

2 Likes

Clearly this person wishes to express outrage, which is their right.

However, they also seem to want to lash out at people, which is not.

From reading through the discussion it seems clear that points have been made why photo ID may be a difficult requirement for some people, but also that monzo looks to make opening an account as easy as possible, and will continue to improve on this. I’ve also seen that COps can, on a case by case basis, work with individuals to help those who are struggling.

They also, here and elsewhere, are notably against any form of discrimination, examples by their inclusion of preferred name from the initialisation of accounts.

Further posts in this specific thread would seem pointless, as this is not a discussion, just one person wanting to aggressively attack any other poster.

6 Likes

This discussion is in danger of getting completely out of hand so I’ve closed this topic.

I believe RichardR has explained Monzo’s policy earlier in the thread here.

Hello all,

As has been alluded to already, Monzo asks for ID for the prevention of crime and because we don’t have the luxury of being able to speak to our customers face-to-face. Monzo is a fully regulated bank with a full banking license, and all the obligations that come with it.

Asking for ID is not discriminating against transgender people, or any other legally protected group, as explained by @RichardR above. If you don’t have ID, it’s quick and easy to sort one out.

Being transgender does not preclude you from applying for government-issued identification. Transgender people are able to apply for ID in exactly the same way as anybody else. However, if you are in the process of changing your legal name or legal gender, your ID may temporarily still reflect your old details, because this process takes time. Monzo understand this, which is why we’ve created specific provisions for using your preferred name instead of the name that’s on your ID.

I will add that around 1/3rd of Monzo’s workforce are LGBTQA. We are a very inclusive place to work, with zero tolerance for discrimination.

If this is causing difficulty, the customer support on the in-app chat are best equipped to advise.

Let’s wrap up here.

48 Likes