Is this a real email from monzo or not?

I’m confused if this is fake or not? Especially since I haven’t contacted support recently last time must have been last year.

If in doubt, delete it.

But they have been asking people for their views lately and as you use support a lot, that’s probably why they’ve asked you.

3 Likes

If they choose to email customers like this, they need to do what other banks do and identify themselves

Barclays ask you to set a secure word that they display every time you log in; and include the last 4 digits of your account number on some emails. Barclaycard include parts of your card number too

I’ve seen other banks do similar things as well and I think it’s great

Why Monzo don’t do it when they seem like one of the biggest targets for fraudsters is beyond me. There’s literally nothing in that email to say it’s genuine. Not even a Hello “first name” which would be super easy to do

5 Likes

The sender email seems fishy too if it’s real it’s literally hello @monzoemail.com shouldn’t it just be @monzo ?

The email is incorrect. The email domain is monzoemail.com - there is an extra ‘s’ in there which gives it away.

Plus, the recent marketing request by Monzo offered £25, not £20 as in that suspect email.

Fake. Phishing. :pirate_flag:

2 Likes

The strange part is the link is to survey monkey and it’s just tick boxes as the questions then a option for best time for them to ring you however it doesn’t actually ask for any contact information or personal details so I’m puzzled

The danger is that IF your email address AND your phone number is known to a third party AND you reply to this, it confirms to them that you have a Monzo account. So if they can’t break into your email account easily (password guessing required) to then gain access to your Monzo account, you don’t need a crystal ball to predict the scammer will call you at a future inconvenient time informing your account is under attack and to move the funds to another Monzo/non-Monzo account fast…

How does someone get both your email address and phone number? Unsure, but it has happened in the past to people. Be very careful. Does your email have 2FA applied to it? It should do if access to your banking app, therefore account & your money, is via the email account.

2 Likes

1 Like

Mobile mail clients really need better header checking tools, because some of these emails are getting really clever at appearing authentic, and becoming harder to verify on phones. They’re getting so sophisticated that an occasional email flows through my inbox that is convincing enough to almost fool me. My only safeguard is that I naturally distrust emails.

1 Like

Hey! This does look to be genuine email from us - but I’m not in the team who would send these sorts of emails out so can’t say for certain.

If in any doubt, no need to fill in any form and you can delete it or forward it to phishing-reports@monzo.com :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t.

Can’t verify that the domain actually belongs to Monzo either because they’re hiding behind a whois privacy proxy.

No problem - I’m not sure the best team to look into this but I can definitely pass it on

3 Likes

Whoops! Should have noticed that! :see_no_evil:

1 Like

It redirects to this

5 Likes

I just had one of these emails too.

monzoemail.com belongs to Monzo, so it is a genuine email.

I agree that these emails should be personalised, to stop any concerns.

2 Likes

Absolutely!

They don’t seem to have learned from the other times they’ve done this.

If they can add to feeds to advertise things, they can add to the feed for things like this.

Send the same email but then tell the person to go to the app and it will be in the feed. No clicking anything in the email at all. They should actively discourage it.

9 Likes

I have had this email to as well today thanks for confirming its legitimate.

This is a domain that we (Monzo) often use to send emails to customers. We do this to keep them separated from our main monzo.com domain and ensure their reputations are separated

Exactly what a scammer would say! At least that message is on the actual Monzo domain. It’s such a fishy email address…

2 Likes