Is Monzo banning UK residents who are US citizens from the current account?

The point makes absolute sense, however the law does not allow discrimination based on administrative complexity. It is very clear so I am beginning to doubt the truthfulness of people who say US citizens are banned. It also seems like a very “non-Monzo” way of doing things, since they want to open the market to the US anyway and want to make banking easier for people.

Citizenship and nationality are the same thing.

Starling bans US citizens, which I believe contravenes the Equality Act 2010. This is the first I’ve heard of Monzo doing so, and if true, it is very disappointing indeed. Especially since it was posted on here before that the current account is FATCA compliant (the US law that banks use to justify discrimination against US citizens).

This is not true - for example, there are six classes of British National. Only one is British Citizen.

2 Likes

No they are not. You could have nationality of a country by birth but not citizenship due to their citizenship laws or renunciation of your citizenship.

3 Likes

as do Fineco, Fidor, and other new banks

1 Like

Yes it does. You do not understand the Equalities Act at all. You can exclude people under the Equalities Act for a proportionate response to achieving a legitimate business aim and there is no alternative course currently available.

3 Likes

This statement is inconsistent. If you deny service to someone based on a protected characteristic, you are breaking the law if you “choose not to do business” based on that reason, that is the exact definition of discrimination in fact. Discrimination law makes clear that you can not use these characteristics to discriminate and they explicitly apply to consumers. If Monzo were denying accounts to UK residents from African countries, the exact same legal concepts would apply.

Thank you for the reply. However this is also not a proportionate response to achieving a legitimate business aim. Monzo must still screen for indicators of US persons regardless of whether individuals indicated as such on their app. The rules are still in place and as incorrectly stated by someone earlier, there is no blanket exemption for those institutions which initially screen on their application. Someone can become a citizen of the US after account opening for a variety of reasons, and these individuals would still need to be reported on related to FATCA. The administrative burden is still there, so there is not a legitimate argument that this is a proprtionate response. Its so clear in fact that I doubt this is Monzo’s official policy.

Let me tell a story : 3 Americans enter a bank and want to open an account.

The 1st gets told “you insulted my husband yesterday. I don’t like you. I won’t open an account for you.” - this is entirely legal and non discriminatory.

The 2nd gets told “as American there are additional regulatory burdens that don’t make it worth my while to open an account for you. Sorry.” - this is entire legal, as the decision hasn’t been made because he is American, but because of business reason. It’s lawful discrimination if you wish.

The 3rd gets told “I don’t do business with Americans because I don’t like Americans” - that is most likely unlawful discrimination.

(note: this story is entirely fictional. Any similarities with actual persons or organisations are purely coincidental.)

5 Likes

You’ve misunderstood. Certain UK financial firms have chosen not do conduct business with US citizens due to the difficult tax status. This is a business decision as it adds additional costs and requirements.

They’re not discriminating against someone for being American.

If they were discriminating against anyone due to any protected characteristic, I’d want them to feel the full force of the law.

I daesay, as a UK citizen, that there’s plenty of US businesses that equally have chosen not to come duct bedsides with UK citizens. Am I’m throwing toys from my pram about it? No. I am not.

You’ve proved my point with this.

It’s not the country that someone (or their parent) comes from that is being discriminated against. It’s the onerous requirements of whatever the American State compels it’s citizens in the U.K. to do and the requirements made upon financial institutions.

3 Likes

Where’s your evidence for this? I have NEVER heard of this happening.

Christ, that quote is full of typos, isn’t it. :hushed:

I can assure you, I’m not even sitting in my pram.

I’m referring to US banks discriminating against UK citizens. I have a lot of US accounts and have never had this happen to me. I’ve never even had a US bank ask about non-US citizenships (something all British banks do which just sickens me, it is none of their business).

It’s interesting to see how upset some people (Americans?) get when they can’t have what they want.

My understanding is that this is everything to do with something called FACTA and citizenship and tax reporting requirements and absolutely nothing to do with anything else despite some purporting it to be somehow racist or discriminatory on the grounds of some protected characteristic.

You can have Monzo when it launches in the US. For goodness sake, they’ve not even launched in the UK. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t want a US Monzo account tho. I don’t live in the US or have any real connection to it (some bank accounts for credit card sign up bonuses). I want a British account where I live, work, and am a citizen.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be opposed to my information being sent to a foreign country as a condition of something as basic as having a bank account.

1 Like

Yeah, we’ve been through this on the Starling Community and here. It’s FACTA that’s causing you issues, not British Banks discriminating against because of race.

1 Like

Complain to the US then not to UK firms who are just being bullied by your (fellow American) requirements

1 Like

I am a dual UK / US citizen living in the UK and I have a Monzo current account. They are, I presume, compliant with US reporting requirements, but it’s ok - you can admit to being a US citizen and they won’t block you.

3 Likes

US law has no meaning here. It is British law that banks here have to comply.