Is it possible for someone to have a one digit different monzo account number

5318008?

6 Likes

so in effect the money has probably gone to someone else

Yes. Itā€™s probably made someoneā€™s day waking up to a large payment

Account numbers for the majority of banks use modulus checking to prevent mistakes - not all banks use the same method, so the sort code is used to decide which modulus check calculation to use. There are very limited circumstances in which transpositions can occur and still pass a modulus check.

There are various software products available which take details of all the banksā€™ modulus check methods and bring this together in one place, such as this one from Experian: What is Bank Wizard

If an organisation wishes to process Direct Debit requests via online sign up, Bacs require them to implement such a system at the point the sort code and account details are keyed.

(Edit - not all banks use modulus checking on their account numbers)

(Edit 2 - this is not the same as Confirmation of Payee)

4 Likes

Just make sure you ring on Monday to correct the error, when was the payment due to hit you account? Donā€™t know if I missed that bit or not.

Edit - ignore this just saw the other post

Sort code 04-00-04 Monzo account number use the same Luhn check digit calculation as card numbers, so valid account numbers always differ in at least two digits.

(04-00-{03,05,06} use slightly different check digit rules in part to make sure that if account numbers valid under one sort code arenā€™t valid under another to minimize risk of confusion. The same principle still applies though - minimum two digits differ)

You can find the tables used to validate UK bank account numbers on Vocalinkā€™s website

19 Likes

so what does that mean sir, do you mind explaining as I have adult learning difficulties

Itā€™s the answer to your question.

No it is not possible to have a one digit difference in your Monzo account number. Account numbers always differ by at least 2 digits.

so is it impossible for someone to have [redacted] and someone to have [redacted] as the account numbers. you said 2 numbers must be different @Ordog I have learning difficulties I canā€™t really understand all this

Iā€™d that your actual account number? It looks like what you posted yesterday that was removed

deleted as I think Iā€™m wrong :man_shrugging:t3::man_shrugging:t3:

Youā€™re stressing yourself out needlessly. Whatever the rules are for account numbers are, itā€™s not going to fix your current situation. If you have learning difficulties, do you have someone who helps you? Someone who could read all this and explain it to you?

All you can do is wait for Monzo to investigate and get back to you, itā€™s not a simple two minute thing. Be patient and try not to worry yourself.

4 Likes

Actually, Iā€™m not sure this is not completely true if you look at Monzoā€™s modulus checking rule. There are two specific places (3rd and 6th digits) in which a single digit error can still result in a valid account number.

Iā€™m not an expert in it but the below person is and used to work at Monzo. I just rephrased this part but perhaps Iā€™ve got it wrong?

Hey @kallem5th, Iā€™ve edited your posts to remove your account number for security.

If you havenā€™t already, itā€™s best to contact Monzo directly in chat as theyā€™ll be able to help advise on any next steps with your payment having been sent to the wrong account number. This forum is a public space largely among customers, so the in-app chat with Monzo is the best place to ask for help on this :hot_coral_heart:

3 Likes

it was the 6th digit that was incorrect . for example xxxxx3xx when it was ment to be xxxxx9xx

As others have said over and over nowā€¦ Sit back and wait for Monzo to get back to you.

Rehashing the story and asking more questions is only going to get you more worked up.

Once theyā€™ve finished looking into it theyā€™ll be in contact via chat.

I have and monzo have said nothing they can do. about this

Speak to DWP tomorrow if you havenā€™t already. If / when the payment gets returned theyā€™ll soon be in contact to get it re-issued to the correct account. Theyā€™ll provide advice on what else they can do if at all possible.

Even if thatā€™s the case, as @EllieC has pointed out to multiple times the public space of the forum really isnā€™t the place for this discussion.

I am really sorry for everything you are going through but there is literally nothing anyone here can do for you and I genuinely donā€™t believe youā€™re getting any benefit from continuing to discuss it here.

I canā€™t beleive I am about to suggest this (as closing threads normally annoys me), but it might be time for @SouthseaOne, @Peter_G, @AlanDoe or @Feathers to shut this down (sorry to mention you all but I donā€™t know whoā€™s around).

2 Likes

I agree. You mentioned that you have a social worker in your other topic.

Continue working with them if youā€™re struggling and also pressure the DWP to try and retrieve the payment from their end.

Hope you get it sorted :crossed_fingers:

1 Like