Is it lazy to get a cleaner?

It’s nothing to do with being lazy, it’s whether you feel it’s worthwhile to do or is it time that can be spent better doing something else.

• Why order online and get and get someone to bring your order. Go get it yourself.
  • Why buy food from the supermarket. Make everything from scratch.
  • Why use a carwash. Get your own equipment and do it yourself

The list is endless.

6 Likes

Just returned home, and the new cleaner has been extremely busy - genuinely never seen the place so spotless. It’s so much better than I expected.

Marks on tables that I thought were permanent stains have miraculously vanished. Carpets look brand new. She even cleaned the oven and inside of fridge. Whoever said cleaning isn’t a professional job, is totally incorrect.

Even my partner is impressed. Very glad you guys persuaded me.

14 Likes

Glad to hear!

The Kondo woman is right! Cleaning does spark joy!

4 Likes

Just in time for Valentine’s Day :wink:

Are you suggesting they become a throuple or-?

2 Likes

Not at all. Insinuating it’s a great gift for their partner. A very clean house :grinning:

3 Likes

This cleaner chat made me want to get a cleaner. Where do people find them? Checkatrade comes to mind, but I know quality is very much so-so.

I used an app initially - eMop. After I found one I liked, I just offered them the same in cash and took it offline. I think an agency is good to start as they do background checks and stuff. There are also often adverts with numbers on those boards in large Sainsbury’s.

I used Checkatrade. The one I picked had about 60 five star reviews (and no negatives), so couldn’t really go wrong. Asked for a quote, they rang within 5 minutes, and booked me in for 2 days time. I then received an invoice and payment link about 10 minutes after the cleaner left - all very simple.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for a cleaner for a week now. Either ridiculous quotes (10 hours for an initial deep clean?), them wanting me to cover travel time as part of the call out at the normal hourly rate, or just straight up not responding.

Maybe I live in an area where people don’t usually get cleaners in and so there’s just not that same level of response?

How big is your house? :flushed:

It’s normal for your first clean to take longer and so cost more, but 10 hours?

It’s a (very) small 2 bed terraced house. I can’t even fit a proper desk in the spare bedroom, so although I was minded to go with the company, this inflation of costs makes me not trust them…

Can’t find a cleaner, it seems, and I hate picking up the phone.

1 Like

Out of interest I just asked a friend who has a cleaner what they pay, it’s £50 for them to clean for 3 hours once a month.

1 Like

They might be assuming it’s pretty dirty? If they needed to, say, get on their hands and knees and scrub floors that haven’t been mopped for months or get stains out of carpets etc then ten hours is pretty realistic. Also if it includes ovens, windows etc those things are time consuming and companies charge a lot more for them.

I saw this quite a lot when I was looking. In the end I arranged for a 4 hour starting session and just said, if you need longer, let me know. Ended up being 5 hours. Can’t see it taking longer than a couple of hours though in future, as the oven, fridge, inside cupboards don’t really need a full clean every time.

2 Likes

One can only imagine the state of some houses cleaners have to walk into :see_no_evil:

1 Like

10 hours sounds like taking the piss to me. That’s longer than a normal working day! Unless they think you’re a Mr Trebus-level hoarder?

Paying for travel as part of the call out doesn’t automatically strike me as unreasonable. It seems common sense that there would be a limit to the area that cleaners can cover. I have a friend whose cleaner also cleans some of the neighbours, and does it all on one day, so they all chip in towards a single travel payment instead of each paying for travel.

Some of the quotes you’re getting could be “I don’t want the job” quotes, but rather than saying that they’re going for “if they’re crazy enough to pay that much, though…”

Do any of your neighbours have cleaners? Maybe you live in an awkward area, or your postcode has ended up on some sort of blacklist?

1 Like

What is the hourly rate for the quote?

Paying separately for travel sounds a little strange to me.

Can’t think of another tradesperson where this happens of the top of my head. I would expect it to just be built into the rate.

1 Like