iPhone Discussion

Do we need a special message from the King on BBC?

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure Prince Harry might write about it in his book sequel ā€œWaaagh 2ā€

2 Likes

This is exactly why Iā€™ve refused to buy AirPods Pro 2s up till now. My time is coming!!! :joy::joy::joy:

I was literally looking for USB C to Lightning adapters earlier today as changing cables in the car to use Android Auto / CarPlay is so bloody annoying.

1 Like

If youā€™re not bothered about charging, Iā€™d recommend a CarlinKit wireless CarPlay dongle.

I donā€™t even get my phone out of my pocket when I get in the car any more.

1 Like

We have a wireless chargers so thatā€™s fine.

The issue is Iā€™d still have to swap the dongle with a USB C cable for when the Mrs wants to plug her phone in for Android Auto.

1 Like

New iPhone 14 colour announced

Thank goodness itā€™s not a pink pro phone. Iā€™d have struggled to resist despite only upgrading whenever the 14 first came out :joy:

6 Likes

Every flipping year I swear I wonā€™t buy a coloured iPhone, and every flipping year I do. Iā€™m so stupid. Dropped the phone on a slate coaster from literally less than 5cm and the damn stainless steel paint has chipped off.

If I wasnā€™t in the upgrade programme I might rub it all off now. But I may just have to get a caseā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s not paint! It shouldnā€™t just chip off, but scuff or scratch. Do you have a picture? The description sounds like defective anodising. Hard to prove, and the burden of proof would be on you after 6 months. Still, Iā€™d take to the Genius Bar, especially if you have Apple Care.

An example of a defective coating process:

3 Likes

I dropped mine last week and Iā€™ve got a scuff on the corner and on one of the lenses :frowning:

1 Like

I mean slate is pretty hard stuff, but not sure if itā€™s harder than stainless steel (feels like it shouldnā€™t be)? There were a couple of shiny metallic pieces on the back after the incident, and now thereā€™s a shiny bit along the back edge of the phone. Not sure how Iā€™d prove it after 6 monthsā€¦ Though might have to pop in to a Genius Bar (wonā€™t they want an appointment?)

Also makes me worry for my lovely Midnight MBAā€¦

For proof you could ask a jeweller to inspect it. Or a metallurgist. Theyā€™ll charge for it though.

I think Apple are taking walk ins again now, so you shouldnā€™t need one. Just means having to wait around for a bit.

The only thing capable of scratching mine is my dogā€™s name tag. Itā€™s tungsten carbide, with enough impact itā€™ll do a lot more than just scratch it. Itā€™s far stronger than steel so her tag comes away from the impact completely pristine. And the Milanese Apple Watch band, that can scratch it too, something to do with how itā€™s coated. Itā€™ll scratch the watch too, so have to be careful attaching it and taking it off.

1 Like

Itā€™s not worth that much, Iā€™ll just begrudgingly buy silver every year after this even if they come out with a hot pink iPhone Pro.

Last time I went in I got a lot of attitude from the gatekeeper person who made me leave the store, book an appointment for 10 minutesā€™ time and walk back in so they could check me in because you canā€™t possibly turn up without a pre-arranged appointmentā€¦

1 Like

Funnily enough I donā€™t think I had a proper drop for many, many years. Just the odd fall out of hands onto a table drop after one too many drinks, which clearly can still cause damageā€¦

Iā€™ll just see my scuff as a battle scar. Well used tools and whatnot.

1 Like

How long ago was that? For most of covid it was appointment only. Might even still be the case in the U.K., or be store specific. I donā€™t think it is though.

It was a central London store a month and a half or so agoā€¦ :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Central London, you might need an appointment even when itā€™s normal. Iā€™d imagine it can get very busy, which makes it harder to accommodate you without an appointment. In which case they should give you one and tell you to come back. But if itā€™s too busy they might not even be able to do that.

Iā€™d always book for a London Store. Itā€™s not going to be like Aberdeen, or even Manchester.

1 Like

Funny thing is I already had an appointment and just wanted to replace my peeling silicone case under warranty which Iā€™ve previously been able to do on the store floor (or surely wouldā€™ve taken 2 minutes on top of whatever I wanted). But instead I got some attitude about needing a separate appointment

1 Like

Dropped my 14 soo much. Iā€™m surprised itā€™s not destroyed.

But. I put it face down once, and the screen got scratched to hell.

Never makes sense

1 Like

Scratch and shatter resistance are inversely linked. As glass gets more shatter resistant, it loses scratch resistance. And drop resistance has definitely been the theme of the last many years.

2 Likes