iPhone Discussion

I’m curious if anyone else ever gets these

2 Likes

I got one

2 Likes

Yes, we both got one of those at the weekend after launch day delivery phones.

1 Like

Yup - I’ve had one for the past couple of years at least.

2 Likes

Not iPhone related, but close.

There’s a thread for that :wink:

3 Likes

I know @Revels will have a field day but I continue to be amazed by the 14 Pro’s camera capabilities when shooting ProRAW

Took a dawn pic this morning. The straight out of camera picture was almost black except the sky and headlights. With some editing it was possible to brighten it out but that added a lot of noise.

The ProRAW I could whip into shape in a few minutes and looks great. More oil painting-like when I zoom in fully, but with barely any noise and the larger details are crisp and clear

6 Likes

Are you still using lightroom for this? Curious what your editing flow is like. I need to get a free opportunity to properly play with it myself.

Have you tried Halide out of interest? Has a neat feature that will shoot both a pro raw shot and the standard photo at the same time, which is great for comparing, and probably helps to ensure you have a great shareable shot no matter what.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m still using the free version of Lightroom Mobile. I’m finding I want to make use of the advanced features like masking and selectively editing parts of a photo but with 1-2 photos a week it’s not worth it.

My editing flow is to take a ProRAW shot whenever I think I want to make use of the editing features, then I add to Lightroom. I switch off all the fancy display tech (Night Shift, TrueTone) and just play around with the sliders until the photo looks like I want it. I don’t apply any sort of science or method as I’m not familiar enough with the theory of editing images. I’d love to be, given what this phone is capable of, but I haven’t found the time and a good enough, adorable course for it.

Once I have the desired result, I export to JPEG ant full resolution/80% quality as it seems to be a good enough compromise between size and quality. I then upload the ProRAW to OneDrive for safekeeping and delete from my phone.

No, fora couple of reasons. I prefer to limit the number of apps that duplicate my phone’s functions, even if they offer more advanced features. I think I’m a standard enough user that the build in notes, reminders, camera, etc give me all I need so I don’t need to go hunting for other apps.

Halide also falls into the category of apps that I’d never pay a monthly subscription for out of principle, so sadly it’s a non-starter.

Maybe one day if I decide to dive deeper into photography and photo editing, I’d pay for it, but until I’m just an amateur occasionally moving some sliders about in Lightroom the camera + free Lightroom combo will do

2 Likes

Yeah this really just sounds like problems with the ‘photonic engine’ which I’ve heard quite a bit about, it sounds like it’s a big step down in image processing.

Don’t get me wrong, I like messing about with a RAW file from my camera occasionally, but if the automatically processed image is so much worse than one you can process yourself with a few clicks in lightroom, that’s an issue

1 Like

Indeed – I’ve been complaining about the default image pipeline since iPhone 13, and they haven’t really improved it despite all the fanfare about better processing

1 Like

At the very least they could finally give us USB-C so if we are forced to work with huge RAW files, at least we could get them off the phone at a reasonable speed. Processing on the phone is fine for an occasional image but if I’m on holiday or something, I don’t really want to process each good photo I take as I go.

Generally given the pitiful and overpriced storage on the iPhone they really need good processing off the bat. One click photography is the appeal of iPhone photography to most people. The processing on the iPhone 12 is generally great but feels like it’s all somehow gone downhill, like it’s struggling with the new sensors.

Then again I’m not so surprised, moving to a 48mp sensor was always a bad idea imo, one reason I thought iPhone really had phone photography nailed was that they always avoided pointlessly over-pixeled sensors. Alas.

1 Like

I disagree on this point. It captures so much more light and detail that it’s mind-blowing. I also don’t think the image processing issues are down to the new sensor. It struggled quite a lot with iPhone 13 too – they’ve gone too social media friendly with over-smoothed and oversaturated images.

Otherwise I agree. iPhone used to be a benchmark for point and shoot mobile photography but it’s now feeling more like a mid 2010s Samsung

1 Like

It doesn’t capture more light, the amount of light it captures is whatever comes through the lens. They actually capture less light, because the light coming through is being divided over more pixels.

It captures more detail but then you will compress that detail down anyway unless you are printing out on a 3ft wide canvas, there is no advantage to that detail which you will have to get rid of before your final output.

Yes you can zoom in by cropping more but frankly the colours will always be a bit naff on an over cropped photo, if you want to shoot things very far away, you need an optical telephoto lens, there’s no way around that.

I shot magazine covers on my 6MP Nikon way back when. People think they need more megapixels, in reality the advantage is null. The modern reason to have the extra pixels is for pixel binning, but that’s part of the post processing that doesn’t seem to be working that well.

Edit: for perspective, a £6k professional Full Frame Canon R3, released last year has a 23mp sensor.

1 Like

I have no real interest in American Football but I installed the Sports Alerts app to try out Live Activities. All I can say is that it works impressively well! The current score shows in the Dynamic Island and also on the Home Screen with added information.

Currently monitoring NY Giants vs Jacksonville.

1 Like

You can use the TV app to test baseball scores.

1 Like

FotMob apparently works for proper football.

Thanks, but not interested in football (US or rest of world). I just wanted to see live activities working!

Now deleted Sports Alerts.

3 Likes

I’m struggling to see how this will be useful beyond sports scores (which I’m not even remotely interested in). I guess it’s a wait and see situation

I’m wondering whether it could be used for these “live” updates that we see on many news websites. We’ll see, though…

1 Like