iPhone 13

You are wrong.

3 Likes

They did exactly that until they got busted:

Cleverly disguised under the ‘battery protection’ umbrella. OK then.

I don’t think it’s quite that simple but at the same time it was a typical Apple scenario.

I do believe Apple were genuinely throttling phones to keep them running and stop sudden shutdowns.

But at the same time this happened to have the side effect of many people buying new phones on the assumption that thier old device was past it.

As ever, Apple’s silene on the issue was likely the biggest cause of anger.

2 Likes

I’m doubtful that this will happen. iOS 14.5 will make it easier to unlock while wearing a mask, if you have an Apple Watch and I suspect that they will be reluctant to remove a reason to buy a watch.

Also, it is quite easy to unlock now because the passcode screen comes up really quickly.

1 Like

The only time I’ve ever seen Tim Cook show any kind of human emotion was when an interviewer framed a question about this as planned obsolescence, and Cook quickly and quite angrily retorted “why the hell would we deliberately make our products worse?”

The rumour mill has been pretty consistent now on Apple looking into under display finger print sensors.

Obviously who knows but I’m think it’s reasonably likely at this point.

It will happen, but probably not for 13.

This one’s the clincher for me. Unless they manage to pull some otherworldly camera shenanigans that improve things significantly, I won’t be upgrading until Touch ID is back,

Even though you’ve said you don’t go anywhere?

I’m guessing if they’re not going to do it this year the need for it will probably lessen significantly.

And I believe that. But the side benefit of driving upgrades is a happy coincidence.

I think the demand for both predates the pandemic. TouchID is more convenient sometimes and not just when wearing a mask.

I’d certainly like both, but I think the FaceID improvements from the X that I had to the 12 are huge. And this year will be no different that they claim is xx% faster but not sure how much you’ll notice in the yearly cycle.

2 Likes

Pandemic (and facemasks) aside, I don’t see Apple adding back TouchID. FaceID is the clear successor and it’s very rare for Apple to go backwards / provide a choice.

I guess we’ll see.

They did get caught doing it at one point tho

All phone companies do it.

Any device that connects to the internet gets throttled over time.

Slow down years old devices that would turn off/crash otherwise.

The iPhone 11 didn’t slow down in October because the iPhone 12 came out.

1 Like

Yep. I’ve just always found Touch ID to be more convenient on the touch devices. Face ID would be better suited for Mac IMO.

Once I’m vaccinated I’ll start going out into populated public places again, but masks are going to become a mainstay for me for quite some time I think. So Touch ID for Apple Pay would be very welcome.

My last upgrade was 2 years ago from the 1st iPhone 5 to the XR

So will probs uprage again for the iPhone 20 or XX :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

It did slow down in my opinion. It slows down every new iOS update which happens when theirs a new phone so I agree with @Ashton

That must have been amazing haha!