iPhone 12

I did and I like iPhones, they’re just out of my budget and I’m more of an android man these days

That last week has left a real impression!

I hadn’t used android in a long time so took some time getting used to it

Not questioning that, but I would’ve thought you’d know about the microSD situation having owned iPhones

2 Likes

I find this logic really hard to grasp. You can afford to upgrade phones twice in the same 12 month period (a very expensive habbit), but can’t afford a single £700 iPhone every 3 or 4 years? :thinking:

If you just like new stuff regularly but can’t afford iPhones at that pace then fair enough I suppose. Buying mew tech to play with can be exciting and addicting I know. But I would encourage anyone that doesn’t need the latest and greatest (I define need as being something that supports your income) to try and break the upgrade culture habit for the sake of the planet.

My iPhone 7 lasted me a good 3 years, and iPhone 11 was an affordable interim step to carry me an extra year or two until I could upgrade to a pro that I will now be keeping for another 3 years or so until I upgrade again.

I’m only diving in this year instead of next year for two primary reasons. Apple seem to now be firmly on a 3 year design refresh cycle, which is when I’m most tempted to upgrade, and because of iPhone 11 I’ve fallen in love with mobile photography, and now want the complete pro camera system. £999 every 3 years is far more affordable than £300 every 6 months.

Most of my old devices trickle down to my family members most in need of a device, and my old iPhone 6s from 2015 is still alive and kicking and has served that family member well since 2016 and still received the latest iOS update this year.

A £540 device lasting 5+ years is incredible value and very affordable long term, if you look after it.

6 Likes

Hate to be that guy but that’s not strictly true:

3 Likes

Was just a bit of banter dude. I know iPhones dont have sd capabilities but they are still good phones

All good. Reading Reddit threads simultaneously has me a bit jumpy as there are lots of inflammatory comments there highlighting well-known facts to try and insinuate how Android is objectively better than iPhones

Same here.

That’s the part that grinds my gears though.

I did venture down one Reddit wormhole though which lead me to a YouTube video, to a tweet, to a blog, back to a tweet and then finally to this tweet; the dream:

Oh reading the Apple threads just after an event is enough to ask your doctor for a Xanax prescription

People blindly defending Apple and misinterpreting arguments and people who just come to poke fun at Apple for obvious and well known things from the past like SD cards or headphone jack. It’s been years, love, time to move on.

2 Likes

The one argument I don’t get is “Oh I wish it was USB-C!!!”

Why?

I don’t want that, at all. I have lightning cables everywhere, I don’t want them obsolete because they’ve changed the port.

I think it’s more likely that the next design refresh has no port at all.

And the Samsung crowd going on about a power plug, just wait, Samsung will do exactly the same soon enough.

2 Likes

Every time you mention you don’t like USB C you get downvoted. I mean my 2 month old work laptop charges via USB C and the port wobbles so much already that I worry what it’ll be like after 2 years. The lightning port on my iPad which I haven’t babied at all is still firm as anything 3 years on.

Yesterday I dared mention that the charging brick removal is not for the environment but courage. And lots jumped to tell me how it isn’t and you can just use the 5W brick. Except no one cared to read and realise that I was talking about the new MagSafe charger and not the phones… the charger that doesn’t actually come with a wall plug and isn’t compatible with the existing ones.

I do tend to agree about the plug being taken away, I have loads dotted around. But then to add a USB-C negates what they’re saying, you’re right on that one!

I have one on my laptop so I’ll probably put the cable in my laptop bag and never touch it again.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind about the plug being taken away if they had supplied USB C plugs for the past couple of years. But no, they suddenly make the cable you get incompatible with the charging accessories you’re supposed to use.

Not to mention my pet peeve, the £40 charger that’s useless unless you buy a separate £20 wall plug for it. I will still buy it because I’m a sucker for magnets though

Oh, and their environmental claims would make sense if they didn’t then ship all the existing iPhone SE, XR and 11 stock back to factories to be repackaged without chargers. Chargers that were already in the boxes in warehouses/stores.

I agree that however with every power plug (since iPhone 5) was sent with a lightning cable, so unless someone hasn’t upgraded their phone for 10 years having a power brick = also have a USBA lightning cable.
Android have had usbc for a few years so a lot of the people moving from android will already have that.

2 Likes

I have an IKEA wireless charger that I cut a hole into my bedside table so it sits flush-ish. My pet peeve with it though, and something the magnets will fix, is that if I ever so slightly nudge it or don’t align it, it doesn’t charge. So I wake up in the morning and find I’m on 15% rather than 100%. Makes not a lot of difference at the moment as I just move to my desk, but it was really annoying when I commuted.

Will I buy a new charger that adds magnets that solves this problem that probably happens once a month? Of course!

1 Like

I would hazard a guess that they think if people will have the power bricks lying about then they will have the cables to, whilst the old cables aren’t compatible with their newer computers at all, especially MacBooks.

Adds better compatibility with their other devices by adding the lightning to USB-C

If you forget about the fact the durability of iPhone Lightning cables is crap, it makes good sense, at least to me anyway

Edit, ahh I was beat to my main point above by @Will_i

1 Like

In other news I’m still undecided about the new iPhone. In the morning my brain is like “all good, we can live with the 11 another year, you pay it off and when you upgrade you can keep it as a backup if you ever need one “

Then I log on to work and my brain is so bored and done with work and life in general that it starts to want the instant gratification of peeling some plastic off a slab of Apple branded glass and steel. I then start looking at nearby Apple stores and strategically plan my route and timings to minimise Covid risk for the rest of the day.

Next day rinse and repeat

1 Like

Based on my experience on Apple stores since restrictions have been in place, they have been very good at all of it.

Managing the queues, space in store, temp checks to get in etc etc. All very basic but not everyone bothers.

My concern is getting a slot to be able to pick it up/credit check.

I’m not worried about credit checks as affordability should be alright and haven’t taken up too much credit recently (except a mortgage :upside_down_face:). If the credit check fails I’ll just return my 11 and pay outright for the 12 Pro.

I also think Apple will be good at managing queues, I’m more worried about the silly lingering people in shopping centres without a mask or with a mask on improperly going into other shops. I stopped going to shops a month or two ago for this very reason

If I can’t get a slot for launch day, I’ll take it as a sign and give it a miss