iOS - Wise International Transfers hanging when using Emoji in Reference

Issue: When putting an emoji in the reference field for a Wise International Transfer, it will hang on the next page and not complete the transfer

Details to reproduce:

• Start an International Transfer to a payee
  • When prompted for the payment reference, using the default iOS keyboard, put an emoji in to it ie “Enjoy Dinner! :plate_with_cutlery:
  • It will take you to the next page and then when you confirm the transfer, prompt for Face ID but then it will sit indefinitely on a blank screen with a spinner
  • Going back to the previous page and removing the emoji from the reference will allow the transfer to go through

Device: iPhone 12
App Version: 5.5.0 #868

Screenshots: I have a video I can provide but there is sensitive details in it - can send it on to a Monzo employee at request

1 Like

The payment will be sent through the banking system in data files which don’t support emojis.

Perhaps Monzo or Wise could add something in to strip out invalid characters in a transaction reference, but the easiest thing would be not to use them in the first place, as the recipient is not going to receive them.

Yeah, I figured it was either the Monzo backend not being able to handle them or the Wise API giving back a response it wasn’t expecting - I know at the App level you can tell iOS not to allow the emoji keyboard so I thought the fact it was allowed here meant they could go through.

For any developers reading this I think if you set the iOS keyboard style to asciiCapable it should disable the emoji button!

1 Like