Investor Card Refresh?

Hopefully, all the cards will keep a hot coral core.
I am really looking forward to a solution similar to Apple card, no number, security code or expiration date so I can keep my metal card for years and Monzo can simply change everything in-app.

6 Likes

Who said anything about a metal card?! Don’t get the hype. Not a priority for Monzo atm!

They are considering it for Monzo Plus, a staff posted about it in the community a couple of days ago.
I see the value if I could keep the card for longer because of the material and not needing to replace it every 2 years due to the expiration date and security reasons.

3 Likes

Here! Smaller signature panel and a two track magstripe instead of three (the third track is, by the standard, blank anyway).

The backs of two Monzo cards, one with a smaller signature panel and thinner magstripe

12 Likes

I won’t be able to get my signature in that :joy:

I might just be able to fit my first name…

We’ll be looking at removing it entirely in a future round of card design changes. Mastercard no longer requires us to put any signature panel on the card and signatures have not been a valid verification method for over a year. :writing_hand:

23 Likes

All this talk of the design of the even newer cards than the ones out now - mine still has the massive chip, not coral core and is a different colour hot coral altogether I think!

And it’ll last me another 2 years :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Curious to why it was left on, on these new cards then?

Because some merchants in certain countries still look at it, even though there is no reason to. :woman_shrugging:

For example, I would minimally sign the card with something before travelling to the US.

Making the panel smaller was significantly easier to justify at this point in time than removing it totally.

5 Likes

Is this also the reason for keeping the embossed number?

Do you think you’ll be able to remove that as other banks have done at some point soon?

1 Like

Yes, embossing is still somewhat important to truly worldwide acceptance. We’re trying out some things there though. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Do what the Americans do… “CHECK ID” in the box… (handy if you have a driving licence/passport on you" :wink:

1 Like

If the signature panel is going completely in a future design, and MasterCard themselves have made it an invalid method of verification, how does the swipe + sign method work? Do they still have to compare your signature with some other document?

So Metal cards don’t have any expiry on them? Why do plastic ones then?!

No, I was talking about what Apple presented with their Apple card. I believe is the only card (metal included) without expiration date or card number on the card.

1 Like

But it’s in the app as far as I know - so presumably the card issuance does actually have an expiry. Who knows - sure we’ll find out more when it launches.

It becomes just swipe with no signature.

Just about everywhere in California that didn’t take chip/contactless just swiped and pressed “ok” without checking anything when I visited late last year.

Yes, we won’t know until it launches but that is what I got from their press release. It is also a credit card so backend might be fundamentally different from a debit card.
“Apple has also designed a titanium Apple Card for shopping at locations where Apple Pay is not accepted yet. With no card number, CVV security code, expiration date or signature on the card, Apple Card is more secure than any other physical credit card. All this information is easily accessible in Wallet to use in apps and on websites. For purchases made with the titanium Apple Card, customers will get 1 percent Daily Cash.”

3 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah my understanding is that the physical card will not have an expiry date (at all rather than just not printed).

1 Like