Introducing Monzo for 16-17 year olds

(Beatrice Borbon) #1

Our mission’s to make money work for everyone, and today we’re excited to bring Monzo to younger people!

Here’s how you can use Monzo if you’re 16+ :point_down:

Children's account? Can Monzo better goHenry?
(Kevyn) #2

Excellent news!

(Andy - Customer of Monzo - Own Thoughts) #3

Already had the first sign up!

(Marcus Nailor) #4

Just need to look for my brother’s passport :grin: Then he’ll be the 7th person I’ve referred to Monzo :smiley::tada:

Looking forward to getting his account sorted out :smiley:

(Alex Sherwood) #5

Great news :tada: I could have saved a lot of money if I’d had Monzo when was I was 16!

We’ve blocked certain kinds of transactions on these accounts, for things like gambling.

I’d be curious to hear which other types of transactions are blocked?

(Josh E) #6

Good start, what’s the time frame for expanding this out to earlier teens?

(Michael) #7

Once you’re done, you can start putting money into your account and setting up regular payments (like subscriptions for Spotify) straight away.

Curious about this, how will they set up a Spotify subscription without a card? :thinking:

(Dan Light) #8

Just signed up! looking forward to getting my card and getting started.

(Charlie Kelly) #9

Yes! Love this.

(I'll flag any comment for 50p) #10

No fees or charges for going overdrawn

We won’t be offering overdrafts to anyone under 18, but that doesn’t mean we’ll be charging people if they accidentally spend more than they’ve got. Helping young people learn to manage their money means giving them leeway to make mistakes without clamping down hard. If someone goes overdrawn, we’ll let them know and ask them to pay it back – but we won’t charge them any money for it.

What is the buffer and how long do they have to pay it back?

(Dan Light) #11

I’ve just signed up and it says I have to wait to activate my card to use the app so I don’t think they’ve added this feature yet.

(Michael) #12

That’s what I thought, just wary the announcement might be slightly misleading! D:

Beats my kids accounts, a green book you had to go to counter with, then switched to a bank that gave me a card that could only be used at my banks ATMs.

Kids are spoiled “these days” :wink:

(Andy - Customer of Monzo - Own Thoughts) #14

I remember in school the bank of scotland would come to the school once a week and we’d all take our passbooks down to the assembly hall to do our banking! Much fun!!

I am so excited by this.

(Marcus Nailor) #16

:boom::tada:

Worked like a charm for my bro! :smiley:

(wrong thread last time :joy:)

(Jack - Customer of Monzo) #17

I imagine it will only allow you to go overdrawn for offline transactions. Otherwise it won’t go below £0 as it Monzo prefers online auth.

(Jack - Customer of Monzo) #18

This is great news,

Learning how to manage your money from a young age can really help you in later life. Having access to Monzo who can also teach through Monzo University is a no brainier.

PS: Nice touch on saying “Happy Birthday” :slight_smile: :balloon:

(Nathan) #19

Smart move from monzo… younger/more tech savy potential customer base,

Sure they wont have the earning power of other users (overdraft, larger balances) but still a great way to increase the user numbers and a good way to get people into trusting monzo with their money from an early age.

(Andy - Customer of Monzo - Own Thoughts) #20

I definitely think :monzo: could make do some really good educational content around money managing and everything around money!