Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

Great thanks. Where was that just out of interest? I thought I’d checked all the FAQs and help but only saw a smaller list than that

Inside “eligible transactions”

I like the idea of a reminder to feed the cats. The cats never let me forget :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right so notification update as we reach midnight:

5pm: Another text message reminding me to select a plan and the cost, nice I like the context aware features.

5:45pm: weird, a notification from the app saying “stop posting on the forum and select a payment plan dammit”. Hadn’t realised my accounts were connected

6:15pm: I’ve just got a DM on the forum from @monzobot - umm… saying I don’t want to know what happens if I don’t select a plan (I thought it was just a 12 month plan if I do nothing? Chill Monzo bot…)

6:37pm: weird, I’ve just had about 8 missed called from 0800 802 1281. I call it back and apparently it’s Monzo help but I just get stuck on hold forever

Ok maybe thats a bit much? Like I get the id-

Oh shoot someone’s banging on my door, pretty aggressively brb

12 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @monzobot display help.

1 Like

You could just pick a plan

6 Likes

You have a DM from me as well - pick a plan :eyes:

12 Likes

In more Flex related info - I paid off my first Flex’d payment as of Thursday last week :tada:

Got a mix of 3, 6 and 12 month payment plans and the visibility in my opinion is pretty great. Yet to use the virtual card but was able to load it up to Google Pay with no issue. The temptation to try it out and treat myself to something is strong.

9 Likes

Ok so my experiment is over and you’ll be pleased to hear I picked a plan at 10:50 pm.

In summary these are the notifications you get

2 in app notifications on the day of your purchase (at the time of, and an hour later)

1 in app notification the next day - at 9 am - which includes the costs of the 12 month plan.

Then 2 text messages, at 12pm and 6pm, the latter of which includes the cost of the plan.

So you’d be hard pressed to say you weren’t warned or given any context of the costs etc of going onto the 12 month plan if you do nothing.

I will stop bothering the Flex Gods now and use the feature as intended.

32 Likes

What happens if:

Limit £500

Item £571

Will it allow me to flex up to £500 of the item or only the full item amount?

So if I purchased said £571 on debit card, would I be able to flex the £500 worth or?

Nope.

2 Likes

That’s disappointing.

Game keep having the PS5 go live but in bundles only, which are as above £571 lowest.

I’d prefer console only tbh but was curious.

Split over X months, flex should understand that would be affordable surely? As it would only need to accommodate the first monthly repayment, not the full balance; when assessing the total repayable?

There has to be a limit….

Otherwise you could have a purchase for £120,000 split over 12,000 easily affordable £10 monthly payments.

At some point any credit company need to go “Right this is customer X’s overall limit”. It isn’t just what you can afford monthly. If it were, all my credit limits would be insanely high.

3 Likes

But if you looked at £571 / 6 = £95.17 first payment, leaving £475.83 that leaves me within budget.

I see both sides, but more flexibility would be nice, similarly to paying off 50% today and the rest next month.

The bank account and the flex limit is both available, but not flexible enough to make it work in favour of the customer.

But you’re not within budget at the start. That’s the key.

I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s “not flexible enough” as you’ll always have people trying to push the boundaries. They have to have a cut off at some point.

If I was in store:

I’d have paid £71 on my debit card
Paid £500 via flex card

Then had the opportunity to flex the £500 in my favour (which is somewhat the point of flex, to be flexible in payments).

Rough example fyi.

I think the point here is that it’s really difficult (if not impossible) to actually reach your approved credit limit with Flex.

If you’ve got a £500 credit limit, you should definitely be able to Flex something worth £571, just the product as it currently stands isn’t smart enough to only offer repayment terms that keep you under your credit limit.

Funnily enough, if the store allowed you to do this, you would be able to flex both transactions with your £500 limit.

1 Like

Buy £80 game gift voucher and apply that at the checkout first. Then you’re in your limit

5 Likes

Smart idea!

I’m just still working it out as I’ve yet to use Flex for anything with the limit I have (reasonable and understandable).

My logic was there I’m just not good at explaining but I’m theory yes, it should.

It shouldn’t factor in the first month if we pay that in advance.

1 Like