Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

Just joined the waiting list.

1 Like

Same, still waiting 🥲

1 Like

I just used my Flex virtual card for the first time.
Worked great. Would be nice to see the VC transaction in my main feed, I think. But other than that, I’m happy with it.

It’s a much better way of using Flex than the original way.

But still nice to have the flexibility to go back 2 weeks and flex a transaction if you really needed the cash for some reason.

1 Like

Technically UTC isn’t a timezone it’s a reference time that everything else is measured against. GMT is UTC+0.

It would make no sense internally to use anything else if they want to communicate with other countries without issues… the humans yes they’ll use timezones, but the computers don’t care whether it’s dark at 9am so just use the same time worldwide.

(It gets more complex when you’re coding, because APIs seem to randomly talk about GMT and UTC because GMT was the standard when the earliest stuff was designed… as a programmer I just mentally translate them to the same without thinkin but I’ve had people get really upset that I would do that and insist they’re completely different…).

A side effect of this is lots of systems when setup to tick to the next day at 12am either do it at 12am or 1am depending on the time of year… 99% of the time nobody notices this…

Another one that (probably, although I haven’t tried on 11) still works. On Windows create a file, change your date to summer/winter depending on when you did the first file. The timestamp on the file will have shifted one hour (timestamps are stored as UTC but the display functions are stupid and apply the current DST offset not the one valid when the file was created).

1 Like

Just coming to add to the vote of, it be nice to pay off the next month’s instalment early, much like you can do with a Monzo loan.

1 Like

Has anyone else found that when you edit an installment plan the next Flex payment at the bottom of the screen is wrong? On that screen it seems to show what my payment would be in January, but if i go to the Manage tab it shows my next payment amount as the one in December. Both just say “next payment” though.

It would be nice to be able to split a flex payment. Can’t remember if this has been requested earlier in the thread.

I bought some tickets using my Flex VC, because the other person can’t pay me back till next month, but it would be nice to split it rather than send a separate request.

I suppose the work around is to pay on a normal card, split the transaction and then Flex it, but I wanted to try the VC out.

Even better would be and optional trigger to repay the flex amount when a split payment for the transaction comes in - can think of scenarios where this wouldn’t be needed though - so an option in the incoming payment would be neat.

1 Like

Flex payments from pots? Is that gonna be a thing?

Sorry if it’s already been touched upon. It’s a long thread and I don’t recall seeing it.

I might be about to say the same thing as the post above me (sorry, I can’t tell if you mean the repayments come from pots?).

But is it possible to flex a payment I’ve made from a pot? I’ve virtual cards set up for some pots, if I make a payment for something here that’s not on the ‘not allowed’, should I then be able to flex it? I can’t see the option.

2 Likes

Sadly not.

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

I think we’re asking for different things. I’d like to the make the flex repayments from a pot. So it’s treated like any other credit bill.

5 Likes

So I did a Vlex transaction (Virtual Flex of course) yesterday - my damn Sonos system needs a bit of a signal boost but that’s a different thread.

I purposely haven’t selected a plan yet. I can very much confirm that there are a lot of persistent notifications that prompt you to pick a plan.

Quick run down-

Day 0: 14:47

• notification for the flex transaction via wallet
  • notification to tell me to pick a plan

Day 0: 15:47 (+1:00h)

• first reminder - just one more quick step - please pick a plan.

Day 1: 09:00 (+18:13h)

• more urgent reminder :rotating_light:- don’t forget to pick a plan otherwise we’ll select the lowest plan (inc details of what that will cost

Day 1: 12:00 (+21:13h)

• moves to an sms - “hey there, please pick a plan for your purchase before midnight”

The only downside IMO is the first notification - if you pay with Apple Pay, the wallet notification for me came in a split second afterwards and therefore didn’t see the “Pick an instalment plan” first message. If there was a way to make that first one come in like on a 1 min delay that would be ace.

Otherwise will see what the remainder of escalating notifications become. I’m expecting a knock at the door at 23:00 (+32:13h) forcing me to pick a plan.

21 Likes

Glad they do this. This’ll be what gets me prompted if I don’t see the push notifications. Always have the messages app open, and those get pushed to all my devices, so I’ll see it regardless of what I’m on.

Important for me, because especially at home, I like to stay away from my phone. Not uncommon for me to go multiple days without checking my phone, especially when I’m in the height of a project.

2 Likes

Yeah It’s good they use multiple methods. I usually have my phone on do not disturb mode so can often miss notifications.

To that end it would be nice if one route was email too - for the same reason that if I’m not so near my phone I’ll likely see an email first.

1 Like

Yep, email would be great too! This is one of the few times where spam is appropriate.

They were happy to spam me about the new refer a friend thing, so if they can do it for that, they can do it for this!

You know what would be cool? A button in the email you could tap to choose your plan right there.

Speaking of which, in your testing, did you check if the push notifications are just basic or rich notifications that behave more like a widget with options when you tap them? Would be cool to select a plan right from the notification too.

My description of these notifications might not be best. So here are pictures.

Basic notification:

Rich notification with options:

3 Likes

It’s good to hear they eventually do an SMS notification as well as push alerts from the app. I managed to miss my first push notification too, but in my case that was partially because I hadn’t cleared all the alerts on my phone so it got a bit drowned out - but an SMS I would’ve spotted, because those always appear at the top over everything else.

Ooh that’s a good point - hadn’t tried that. Will see when the next one comes in.

On the email action thing - Pact Coffee do a great version of this for their subscription coffee service has a “skip delivery” or “send now” button in their “Your next coffee is due to ship in 5 days” email.

I imagine there’s more compliance things in this one but that would be a huge win

1 Like

I can’t see this in the advertised restrictions but can anyone please confirm if I can flex a transaction that is paying off a credit card?

Plan is to:

• make a purchase on Barclaycard
  • pay it off in a month in full using Monzo Flex card / or flex the transaction paid with normal monzo card

Reasons:

• extra month before starting payments
  • someone else is contributing part the cost but any additional payment on the flex agreement will only come off at the end, making my flex monthly payments higher initially

Thanks

No, you cannot.

4 Likes

You can’t pay credit with credit so won’t be able to flex that transaction to a financial business

1 Like