Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

Or just flexed and don’t assume how someone made the payment, just as easy to ask if they don’t mention it, and it’s pertinent to the conversation :eyes::pinched_fingers:

Monzo isn’t a religion. You can be critical of a product you use everyday you know.

And you don’t have to be on on the forum everyday to have an opinion.

I had flex and stopped using it for that exact reason, that others have also said. Do you make snarky comments at them? Probably not

1 Like

My opinion as a new user of Monzo, Flex and the forum is that I like Flex and the way it’s implemented.

It is essentially a “buy with installments” service, which in many other countries is managed by many shops independently (you buy something and the store charges your card in monthly installments, or have their own card scheme that does that).

Yes it is different from a “proper” credit card, but if you want a proper credit card there’s a million of them out there.

I do wish Monzo eventually release a proper credit card, but that’s just so I can have more of my spending managed in the app (as connected accounts are not fully featured). But I do like how Flex is built and the fact that it is unique in the market.

5 Likes

Personally I agree with you, I have both but I still use Tymit over Flex the majority of the time because it offers a lot more in terms of functionality and usability, theres a few niggles that just stop me from defaulting to Flex.

It probably helps though that I seem to be a lucky one who has never really had any issues with Tymit despite using it a ridiculous amount, a lot of people on here seemed to have been burnt by it

4 Likes

I like Monzo Flex and use it often, however I’d much prefer it if they took the first payment on the date you selected so I could spread it over 3 pay days.

3 Likes

Sad: my bookshelf fell apart

Glad: I monzo flex’d a new bookshelf :woohoo: Also on the virtual card so I got that sweet sect 75

10 Likes

cough May be coming soon

6 Likes

This would be amazing if it was, even if it was just for the virtual card I’d be happy :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Book of Dust. Excellent taste.

1 Like

Is that confirmed in teardowns? How do you know?

1 Like

Cheque imaging testing confirmed.

4 Likes

Hints at strings that enabled it (or whatever) in teardowns - yes.

<boolean name="flex_first_instalment_defer_in_plan" value="false" />
5 Likes

Cool! That might get me to finally commit to Flex! I haven’t been following the tear downs - guess I should

Oh, this is actually to test if our Freepost service supports giant cheques /s

8 Likes

Staff have also talked about it getting a review and possibly changing

Exciting stuff.

Mr Monzo, can it please happen (and on iOS too, this doesn’t feel like a thing where parity doesn’t matter) before the next iPhone-day? :pleading_face:

1 Like

Monzo adverts are not what they once were :wink:

4 Likes

For Flexing on a virtual card, how much needs to be in my account? Is there a check at all?

I just used the virtual card but I moved enough in to my main account so it didn’t fail and now I’ve selected my plan and I’ve paid off 1/3rd.

3 Likes

According to this:

Where you can use the virtual Flex card

You can use the virtual card pretty much anywhere to pay later for pretty much anything.

Pay with the virtual Flex card in-store with Apple or Google Pay, wherever contactless is accepted. There is no contactless limit on the card. You can flex any amount as long as you’ve got enough available credit.

You can also shop online using the card details.

You’ll need to have enough money in your current account to cover at least the first minimum instalment, for the payment to go through.

2 Likes

Can anyone also remind me how the “Flexing Close to your installment date” bit works? I was trying to find a help article that explains the timing but couldn’t see one.

How many days out from your repayment date do you need to be before it moves into the following month?

1 Like