• I have them
  • I have not

0 voters

How useful are graphs?

• I frequently use them
  • I sometimes look at them
  • I don’t use them

0 voters

Would you rather more work on graphs or other features instead?

• Graphs!
  • Other features.

0 voters

I know I wrote the questions, but I’m prevaricating on the last one.

I’d like useful, actionable insights (so more work on graphs!) but I’m not sure that we’re going to get something that I’d find useful so I wonder if the effort would be better spent elsewhere. :thinking:

2 Likes

I voted for more graphs because I think there could be better insight, it’s just not quite there yet. Not really for me but for others.

I’m an anomaly because most people don’t have their own graphs to track spending.

5 Likes

I still haz no graph.

4 Likes

Should probably get rid of that silly joint account thing you have if you want new features :confused:

2 Likes

I’m curious if I’m missing anything, or if it’s just not a feature for me.

Pretty much every month will look like this - salary payment at the end of the month, direct debits at the beginning.

What is the benefit of this graph/how are people using it?

3 Likes

Same. We have angered the Monzo gods.

1 Like

If you recategorise your salary, you won’t have the dip, but otherwise, mine looks like that too.

1 Like

Arguably just categorising salary as income (taking it out of the spend graph) is worse as it will lead to just one massive hump for direct debits… Which was the reason that the pulse graph got nuked all those years ago.

I guess it depends if you want the net position or just your spending.

1 Like

Good shout - I had set up a custom group for specifically salary, so that’s a good note that I don’t know how to set it up like the income group.

But, I think keeping it separate in this graph is more useful than excluding it.

But then - back to the original bit, maybe this just isn’t a feature for me.

1 Like

Which I think encapsulates the issues here.

It seems (to me at least) to be designed to capture spending (which is why income and savings are excluded). But if you do that without having a way to distinguish between committed and discretionary spend then you end up with a mess.

The solution to Trends (and to Pulse way back when) is, again in my view, to grapple with that as an issue.

For discretionary, something in-period (like Trends or Pulse) works well as a starter, especially if you could a) drill down (it looks like Trends is built for this), and b) overlay or compare periods (it strikes me that this might have been easier with Pulse).

For committed, what we really need, I think, is the ability to compare period-to-period, rather than within a period. For bonus points, come up with some generic bill types (mortgage, electric, gas :scream:, broadband, mobile…) and let me compare expenditure over time and across providers. For my love forever, advanced comparisons: what’s the month like vis the previous year, or the same month in previous years…

2 Likes

Dark mode…

I pretty much only use it for my groceries category because it should have a pretty steady run rate and I can see what I’m spending on average a week. Everything else has too many peaks and troughs in the weekly view, monthly would be better for everything else for me.

Hopefully I will get to see this feature soon seeing as next week another new feature is meant to be rolling out

I can’t say I find them particularly useful, just yet. I also really dislike the tap and hold with vibration. Maybe it’s just my phone but the vibration is really unsubtle😅. Also, I only knew from someone on here that tapping and holding did anything…

1 Like

I still haz no graph.

4 Likes

I may have missed it, but should everyone on Plus/Premium have the Trends tab, or only a select few?

3 Likes

Still nothing, is there some sort of timeline for this rollout to complete?

Or has it been frozen due to tweaks being made based of some great comments above?

Back with Monzo after a “sabbatical” with another bank (it begins with an N)

Got to say, trends is really nice. It’s what drew me back tbh…so nice one.

Just adding my voice (may have been raised already)

Two things that would make this next level;

• Combining budget and summary together (Ala RBS etc) - I personally found this really useful and handy to see budgeting.
  • Set custom date; for me personally until this happens trends isn’t really all that useful as it’ll be perpetually wrong cos I get paid quite early in the month, so it’ll miss out a fortnight of spends, and I’ll need to keep cross referencing budgets to see what I actually spent paycheck to pay check.

Just some thoughts, nice job Monzo on this one, looks slick

3 Likes