Introducing graphs on Trends

I’d say something like this would make these graphs significantly more useful;

With the ability to deselect categories like this:

I’m sure something better than this is probably on the roadmap :+1:

26 Likes

Lewis for President of the Graph Committee!

9 Likes

This would work really well with the tap and hold gesture, dividing the bar you’re holding into the colours…

1 Like

Look I’m dangerously addicted to looking at and updating my financial spreadsheets. So I’m basically just asking for the trends feature to replicate one of my spreadsheet graphs to save me having to open google sheets;

The main limitation (that I’m sure monzo are aware of as this is likely an ongoing project) is that the current implementation doesn’t allow you to easily see at a glance how your spending breaks down over time. Currently I can select a category and see the graphs for that, but as soon as I do that I lose the context of how that category spending compares to other categories.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving trends and the direction this is going. Just always hungry for more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like the Apple Card graphs!

The gradients Apple use would fit really well with Monzo’s recent palette theming. Gradients everywhere.

I’d like this though, great for glanceability. Wouldn’t want it hidden behind a tap though, that doesn’t make sense to me.

2 Likes

I really don’t get the gradients. Either precise lines or a solid bar please. I don’t really know how to interpret these different colours.

8 Likes

It’s the opposite of how Apple usually work.

They look better but function worse.

1 Like

I think it’s just aesthetics. Gradients look better, and they seem to be the in trend right now in graphic design. Reminds me of the early 2000s.

Monzo are definitely following that trend as well, and whilst it’s not as functional as clearly defined split colours, it’s more functional than no glanceable indication at all. And looks prettier. Like a slush puppy.

Maybe we need a support group!

What bill did you pay in March and then didn’t pay in April?

I think I swapped energy supplier, so that’s paying off the remaining balance (spike in March) then not getting billed until May I think.

My proposed graph would also allow me to replicate one of my other dashboard graphs; my total food spend (i.e. eating out plus groceries);

I’m not convinced this tiny row of category buttons would be very touch friendly, but it gives an idea of how it could be done.

6 Likes

I’m down for judicious use of gradients as a visual device. In graphs where you need precision, it’s a no no from me, I’m afraid.

Speaking of which, on the Monzo graphs, when something is zero, there’s still a little bit of a graph, which feels kinda misleading. :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Love where you’re going with this. Regardless of how they actually design it, I’d love:

• The ability to select categories (a bit like we can do with accounts)
  • Track non-spending categories (so basically just savings at the moment)
  • Have different data sources for the averages - as others have said, it feels more intuitive to compare with similar times of previous months, rather than consecutive weeks, if that makes sense.
3 Likes

I don’t disagree. But visuals are still a crucial part of the equation. Art matters, and graphs are often all too void of artistic flair, which make them dull and boring to look at, which is bad for engagement.

If I’m given a choice between graphs that are ugly but functional, pretty but non-functional, or somewhere in between, I’d choose the in between approach every time, because it strikes the best balance. Functional enough to paint a clear picture, but pretty enough it remains engaging.

I don’t really know that much about mobile phone interface conventions but something like this would probably be a more scalable/future proof approach than my previous mock up:

2 Likes

This is something I’d love. I def have a number of related categories which, as in your example, often mean that spend in one affects spend in another (another example for me being TfL vs taxi).

5 Likes

It’s a bit too much like the pulse graph for me.

• Spike at the beginning of the month when I get paid
  • Followed by a sharp drop when all my direct debits leave
  • Then a gradual decline as it get towards the end if the month / next payday

I can see how there’s plenty of room for scalability with this so i look forward to seeing how it develops.

4 Likes

I get where you’re coming from but I think gradients in graphs only make for fuzzy pictures. That might be fine for some people for some types of graphs but I’d say more generally that the type of people who are looking at graphs in a banking app would want clear distinctions on said graph.

3 Likes

I think that’s a good descriptor. It’s a case of no picture vs fuzzy picture vs clear picture. I think the fuzzy one is the generally accessible one when it comes to graphs. It engages and captures the attention of folks who otherwise would just ignore it, and I think that’s an important factor when it comes to promoting financial inclusivity.

Currently it seems to be a case of no picture, and fuzzy picture is at least an improvement over that.

Gradients aren’t the only way to prettify things. There are other things you can do to make them eye-catching. Monzo know this though, because they’ve done it with the year in monzo thing in the past, but it’s easier when you have the space to create a full on Infograph.

2 Likes

Spread out your direct debits for a more even distribution

When you view a graph in a category for example there’s a very quick refresh and then the graph and transactions pop up to the top of the screen. It’s quite jarring

1 Like