Introduce yourself šŸ‘‹

Welcome!

Itā€™s nice to see so many new faces :wave:t3:

1 Like

I am considering changing from my current bank and was intrigued by this. Switching to a completely digital bank is appealing to me.

Iā€™m 62 years old, currently working as the Global Database Admin for a large entertainments company (no, not the one with the mouse).
I am interested in Data Security and Data Quality as part of my job

I am looking to move house this year and have an unusual amount of cash on hand (for the new house) which will be increased when we sell the old house, albeit temporarily.

Anyway, I wanted to know a few of things.

Is the Monzo card a Credit or Debit card? Iā€™ve spent the last 5 years getting rid of multiple Credit cards, leaving just one with zero balance for emergencies. Iā€™d much rather use a Debit card.

With Standing Orders, can I set one up with differing Start payments, then 11 monthly payments?
I only have one like that, but itā€™s a requirement.

Does Monza support two-factor authentication? I use a Yubikey for physical security and the Microsoft Authenticator (Iā€™ve found that one to be the most reliable) on my phone, alongside 1Password for secure vault. This is an absolute requirement. I canā€™t imagine using any financial service that doesnā€™t use 2FA.

As for myself, I like tech, coffee, video games, music, coffee and I do photography as a hobby (was a pro for about 10 years, many years ago). Yes, I shoot people and sometimes cut their heads off.

I like both cats and dogs and have had many companions over the years. sadly none at the moment though due to the impending move.

Thatā€™s a no, then. Monzo depends on your phoneā€™s security and knowledge of your PIN for day to day protection. So I use Face ID to open the app, and then need the card PIN to move money.

Oh, thatā€™s a shame. You know Face-ID can be spoofed with a photo, right?
Iā€™m reasonably happy with fingerprint auth for my current bank so if it works with that, itā€™s a maybe (Still 2FA, something you have (finger) and something you know (Pin)) Would be better with a One Time Password though.

You unlock the app with your fingerprint, then to move any money you need to enter your pin or fingerprint again.

If you wanted yet another layer you can move the app to the Android secure folder (or IOS equivalent). So it will have even greater security and will also be hidden from view etc.

If you think your account has been compromised (lost card for example) you can immediately freeze it at the tap of a button to prevent any further actions. There is also a web portal should you lose your phone too: https://web.monzo.com :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s pretty much what I do now, except my current bank also send a OTP over SMS which is bad.

1 Like

Ok, so 2FA is sorted, I am assuming Monzo card is a Debit card. How about the Standing order question?

Monzo is a current account, its a debit card.

Standing order probably wonā€™t work without a bit of a workaround.

Iā€™d imagine creating a yearly payment of X and monthly payments of Y, would do it.

Ahh Iā€™d have to do a 1-off for X then 11 months at y I think. Not a deal-breaker. Itā€™s Council tax. Why they canā€™t evenly divide the amount into 12 I have no idea.

Right, so when I get home or sometime tomorrow Iā€™ll get the app downloaded and see if I have any problems getting the ID sent.

Council tax is direct debit up here - it just alters itself as it happens

oh, right. I just prefer SO because I control it,

As far as I know, theyā€™re all the same. :man_shrugging: You could set up a DD, though.

Fair enough I guess.

You can control and cancel all DD and SO in Monzo under scheduled payments.

Yep, thatā€™s pretty much what I expected. Iā€™ll see how the sign-up goes later on.

Well, I was impatient and did the signup. Driving license and embarrassing video. :crazy_face:

I should say, that what prompted me to investigate this was hearing Monzoā€™s Cyber Security guy on the 1Password podcast. (Random but Memorable - look it up in your podcast app).

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion - listening now! :ear:

Hi I live on the Isle of Man.
I just tried to open an account with Monzo and was told I could not, due to my address?!

1 Like

Unfortunately the Isle of Mann and the Channel Islands have different financial regulations and so arenā€™t covered by the U.K. banking license Monzo hold

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up

For the benefit of others, this is episode 13 as below:

1 Like

Hi guys,

Iā€™m Aneisha (and this is Smudge my dog)

DSC_7327

We love Monzo and all things furry. Iā€™m co-founder of an ethical gut friendly pet food brand ā€œScrumblesā€ and have been a Monzo loyalist for a couple of years now. Looking forward to the business account opening!

P.S if anyone would like to try us, weā€™ve set up a discount for our Monzo pals using the code ā€œMonzoā€ for 20% off https://scrumbles.co.uk

10 Likes