Intro to Core Experience šŸŽ‰

Thereā€™s definitely lots more crap on screens that I donā€™t need or use lately.
Even the plus trial thing just rubs me the wrong way.
I get advertising features, but advertise once and then let me remove it (even if itā€™s just a month or so).

2 Likes

What sort of things? I donā€™t have anything that really bothers me, but maybe Iā€™m more willing to ignore the things that donā€™t interest me, or might be because I already have plus etc.

4 Likes

One example for me is the ā€œGetting startedā€ section on the premium tab. I have no interest in using round-ups or virtual cards, and I have had Monzo Premium before so I know that these exist. There is no way that I can see to dismiss this section (which takes up most of the screen on my phone).

Iā€™m pretty sure this is dismissible ā€¦ as it was raised previously and made to be dismissed. At least I believe it is/was on plus - as I no longer have that area. I just have the huge list of items belowā€¦

Thanks for telling us about this @ndrw! Weā€™ll be exploring the payments tab in the next few months and will make sure to add this to the list - @Heldiney :eyes:

11 Likes

ITS BACK! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

THANK U MONZO! :heart_eyes:

Thanks for the heads up @Dan5! :heart:

18 Likes

@giorgio Not sure if this sort of thing is covered by your team or elsewhere?

One thing at the moment that could be improved for me is a way to split a bill from the transaction screen without having to click through loads of screens. I use bill split quite a lot and it is annoying having to go into the transaction, then select bill split, then select the person, then select the amount etc I would love it if I could just click on a little icon next to the transaction and it then takes me straight to the screen where you select who to split the bill with (or something similar).

1 Like

@nurlan :eyes: :clap: :tada:

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! @Heldiney this is something youā€™ll probably be interested in!

Matt, are you iOS or Android? Weā€™re making some small tweaks to the payments tab that let you split a bill directly from there, have you got any thoughts on that? Interesting idea about going straight from an icon

2 Likes

Thanks @giorgio! I am on iOS.

Iā€™d need to see what you mean really before I gave my thoughts - canā€™t picture what you mean. But in terms of how I use bill splits, I would purchase something which would then pop up in my transaction feed (which is the first thing that loads up when I then enter the app). Then I click on the item in the list, I then have to scroll down the screen to find where to split the bill, I press that button and then have to choose who to split it with (99.9% of the time this is my partner), I then have to press on them and click next, I then input the split and click request money. It just seems very long-winded!

So being able to press a button next to the transaction allows me to not have to click into the transaction, then scroll and then press a button.

Is there any particular reason why the option to bill split is so far down the transaction screen? Again, having the little blue bill split icon somewhere near the top would be preferable so I donā€™t have to scroll every time (I never add receipts, and do bill splits a lot so it makes no sense to me why adding receipts is so high up on the page). I donā€™t have the data for how many people attach receipts but I would assume it is less than the number of people splitting bills (could be totally wrong!)

1 Like

Shared an update on our progress here:

11 Likes

Hey Core Experience team, do you have any plans to work on the Shared Tabs feature? Itā€™s my most used, and it hasnā€™t been touched in years and is still quite a flaky experience (Monzo Plus to non Plus sharing never auto tags Categories correctly).

Iā€™m assuming itā€™s a rarely used feature compared to others, but wondering if thatā€™s in your plans?

1 Like

Hey @chrstphrtlbt,
We arenā€™t actively looking into shared tabs at the moment, but that doesnā€™t stop me from exploring the problem space :eyes: Could you please tell me a bit more about your experience using these? What do you like? What could we do better?

7 Likes

Iā€™m a heavy shared tab user as all our household spending goes through me then is reconciled using a shared tab.

My two wishes:

1. better controls of who owes what (more granular options?) not sure what it would/should look like
  2. this is the big one: more transaction types (including, specifically, Flex and Connected Accounts). Iā€™d pay for Plus or whatever just to have this.
3 Likes

My biggest gripe with shared tabs if people pay outside of them. I canā€™t add a payment from someone else to it, and attribute it to them as a positive payment for the tab

4 Likes

Good to know Iā€™m not the only household money-mule!

The big issue I have is when people who donā€™t bank with Monzo pay me, or those with Monzo donā€™t pay me back the right way. It breaks the entire experience to the point Iā€™m not better off than trying to track everything in notes.

Just for the fun of it I started tapping the send payment reminder on all the outstanding things from the past three years, hundreds of them mounting to thousands in Ā£. And because of the way Monzo word those notifications I had them all rushing to my office to query what the heck is happening because theyā€™ve already paid me back for this! That was a fun day.

Those sweet Avios/MR points/cashback!

Luckily for me itā€™s just a two-person household so when the payment doesnā€™t work (Shared Tab seemed broken yesterday for example) then the other person can just add a new transaction to bring the balance back to 0

1 Like

Weā€™re a heavy Shared Tab household as well.
Amazing feature but Iā€™d really like to see it receive a bit of love.

Edit - just to add, when considering moving to Starling, Shared Tabs were the one feature that kept us with Monzo!

2 Likes

Thanks for replying Giorgio. As a heavy user of the feature, it just requires some love as I canā€™t think of a single update thatā€™s happened there for years. A few bullets on what I think are issues:

• Iā€™m a Plus account holder, my wife is not. If I add items to a Shared Tab tagged with a Category for Groceries, if she pays me it always returns as General. If she adds Groceries and I pay, my payment will be tagged Groceries. Itā€™s been like this since I joined Plus. (Iā€™ve raised multiple support tickets, still no fix) and I manually have to go into every single payment from my wife and change the Category.
  • If you want to add multiple payments of the same Category to a tab, you canā€™t then change the amount the other people in the tab can pay, you have to add them individually.
  • No ability to Close/Leave a Tab if 1 person doesnā€™t pay via Monzo (they might have sent me Money separately to my account) and then youā€™ll have an Open Tab on your Payments page indefinitely. I had one open for 2 years that I couldnā€™t close until I eventually added a Custom Bill to the same 3 people, and they paid me the amount, for me to just then give it back to them.
  • Notification Badges for the Shared Tab donā€™t work very well, incredibly laggy and donā€™t accurately update quick enough. Thereā€™s probably a better solution around In-app Notifications that youā€™re working on separately that might tie into a fix here.
  • Shared Tabs with non-Monzo users, any chance of this?
  • No ability to add Recurring Payments (Gousto weekly) to a Shared Tab without it going into your Committed Spending. I still want to see how much I spend on Gousto a month in my Trends
  • The UI needs some love.

Hopefully that helps you with your discovery process a little. Itā€™s our most used feature with my wife, because we put all Groceries, Eating Out, Travel and then Holiday expenses into individual tabs, specifically because we know we wonā€™t move over to a Joint Account because it just doesnā€™t get the love the business can give it.

8 Likes

Just to add to @chrstphrtlbtā€™s great suggestions (budgeting and Shared Tabs donā€™t really work together at the moment).

It would be really useful to be able to add shared notes and receipts to Shared Tab items (like Splitwise). I find people tend to forget what each item is for, especially when the merchantā€™s name isnā€™t particularly recognisable (e.g., when on holiday).

3 Likes