Improving Monzo Plus - If you were Monzo

I 100% get all that, lockdown is tough on everyone and it must seem worse when everything you do say is pulled apart and criticised.

And I don’t want you to think “Ahhh whats the point, I tried to engage and Revels just moaned”

But (and there is always a but) other than the AMEX launch, your posts in this thread are the most we’ve seen from anyone about Plus. Look how engaged people are that someone is talking, listening, replying. It’s a small thing and it goes a long way.

I’m not cancelling yet, some already have and although what you’ve said is good, for lots it will be too little, too late.

2 Likes

I don’t think this, and I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong. You’ve called out that we haven’t engaged as much as you want, and that’s fair. I’m really enjoying engaging on this thread this morning, although it has meant I’ve not done too much building of anything new :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I know you have a job to do and if you had to explain to your boss that ProjectX is now delayed by a week but you’ve got the poll master achievement, I don’t think they would be happy!

There’s two ways of looking at this: there’s the glass half empty one of focusing on the negative, and bemoaning the absence of engagement. Or the glass half full one, which is to accept that the days of constant chatting with staff on here are over - but to take conversations, like this one with @avb as a nice, unexpected, bonus.

I think it’s okay to critique Monzo’s engagement policy as a company, but I get a bit uneasy when individuals are criticised - when ironically they’re doing the very thing we’re asking for.

11 Likes

On the contrary, she was most delighted. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I think you need a real life plaque to be honest…

2 Likes

I agree. I really don’t want this to be @avb bashing (although he was probably used to that at Chelsea and Spurs)

For me, it’s not so much the engagement daily or even weekly, but more of a, dare I say it… roadmap!

1 Like

So do I.

4 Likes

I’m not sure the pandemic is unique to Monzo employees, so it can’t be use as an excuse for employees not engaging, but I am also very grateful that you are now :slight_smile:

What about randomising the CVV2 after every successful transaction? Possibly not a perfect solution.

I’m not quite familiar enough with cards to know the implications of this, but it’s definitely one for us to consider

1 Like

Hi @avb great to see you here. Can you share if there’s been any progress on the idea of automatically moving funds to a pot to pay a credit card? It was discussed quite a lot a few weeks back.

I spend £50 on my Amex, and Monzo automatically put £50 into my Amex pot so it’s ready for the direct debit at the end of the month. Currently I do this manually and it’s a bit annoying, but I’d love to be able to automate this with Monzo and would happily subscribe to Plus for it.

2 Likes

We’ve not started building this, however it is something we’re considering picking up at some point. We have explored what the hardest parts of it to solve would be, which is mostly ensuring we always set aside the right balance. Due to different banks making new transactions available to us at varying different timescales, and that direct debits paying off your balance may show up before or multiple days after them leaving Monzo, it can be quite tricky to actually be sure the money we set aside is the right amount to pay off your balance. If we build this we want to be 100% confident that it is always going to set aside the right balance for you, so this increases the amount of time it will take us to build it quite significantly

8 Likes

Glad it’s being considered! Thanks for the engagement today :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I also wondered @avb if you have had any thoughts, or plans, around improving stuff in relation to the Google Live Data Export?

(Once again, a whole thread of feedback, and another one with some creative ideas)

But my key nuggets of thoughts:

Google Sheets

• There’s strong desire for some Dashboard style templates, to make the most use out of it.
  • Can there, eventually, be an option to export connected account data too?
  • Is there potential for more meta-data to come in the sheet? (contactless, apple pay, card transaction types, etc, or other potentially analysable data).
  • The Time field in the sheet - is UTC - it means for analysis purposes some time based analyses get a bit wonky - could this be actually set to UK local time?
  • Can Split Transactions be managed differently via the data output - analysis is very hard to do in it’s current form

IFTTT

• Can Monzo publish a “If Cell in Google Sheet is Update > Move money into/out of a Pot” applet?

The reason for the latter; IFTTT now have a paid plan (at $10/m!) which means the free plan has a limit of 3 custom applets, but unlimited published ones. That applet is the most powerful one for pairing with Plus - but it means Free (IFTTT) users would have limited ability to use it, unless it gets published. Publishing it could appeal to more users basically.

Now I better go do some work, I don’t think I can make browsing the Monzo forum sound like part of my job.

1 Like

Probably been said already but I love how everyone wanted AMEX on the credit cards and now they release it they charge for it, great move Monzo.

I support Monzo from the very beginning. I didn’t like the fact that they charge for features that would make Monzo much better product if they were for free. That’s very disappointing.
Monzo should come up with a better plan and create Plus features that really have value (e.g. insurance, cashback, special offers, etc)

As far as all rumours go, Plus was meant to be a two-tiered product that included Insurance and other products. But given The Event the second tier got postponed.

There’s a few threads on Twitter suggesting it’s on it’s way/

1 Like

Interestingly, the one bit of press said that it was coming as early as (I think) last week.

If it was a travel focused one, then maybe because The Event is still eventing, then they’ve chosen to pause it (again?)

I’ve said it before, but I’m keen to move from Nationwide if Monzo can offer comparable (for my needs - I don’t use everything) value.

1 Like

If it’s still travel oriented, I’d be very surprised if they’ve not tried to pivot in some way, by adding value elsewhere. Travel stuff can always be added to the list of feature later.

The landscape right now just isn’t suited for such a product, and I fully expect things will be like this a a good while yet. And how longer after things improve before the masses actually start to feel safe enough to travel again?

2 Likes

Yeah I can absolutely imagine that any stuff relating to insurance policies are changing day to day given the updates in The Daily Broadcast. Can’t be easy to design around.

I’d be in the same boat too re: Nationwide. I would still love for a totally flexibile/pick and mix package to exist, but it seems chances of that are low.

1 Like